150 pro xs four stroke availability

When are these available, have yet to see anyone with one. Any reports of real performance difference compared to regular 150

2. Member
    Is the pro xs any louder at trolling speed than the regular 150

3. Member
    BPS in Lawrenceville has one on a Nitro so they must slowly be getting out there.

4. Member
    Made a bunch of calls, the pro xs isn't even on the dealers price list, not available until September or October. Even the regular 150 four stroke is backordered until then. Why release something that is not available. I have a 300 hp four stroke at 100 lbs for $3000 available spring 2050. Just saying.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre3737 View Post
    Made a bunch of calls, the pro xs isn't even on the dealers price list, not available until September or October. Even the regular 150 four stroke is backordered until then. Why release something that is not available. I have a 300 hp four stroke at 100 lbs for $3000 available spring 2050. Just saying.
    That doesn't apply in the US... we've had it on price lists that came out in mid-April.

Let's stick to more factual and helpful info- please see the Forum Announcements for more information. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    They are available. I have one on my 2000 TR186 which was mounted on June 9th or so. I replaced a 2001 150hp Optimax with it. I love the motor, smooth, quiet and a tad faster on top end by 1-2mph but not dialed in yet. That may be because it will push a 24"pitch prop to 5,900 rpm where the Opti pushed a 23" to 5,600rpm. The Opti was right at 60mph with a 23" Tempest Plus where the Pro XS is 61-62mph with a 24" Fury prop. I'm thinking about repitching the 23" Tempest Plus to 24" (at 23" it goes over max rpm for the Pro XS) to see which gives better performance. I think out of the hole and through midrange the Opti was quicker but I have no complaints with this 4 stroke. I'm waiting for a water pressure sensor before I start messing with engine height to dial-it-in. And in my opinion, a darn good looking motor as well. By the way, does anyone have an opinion on which prop will be the better performer if both are 24"pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitriton View Post
    They are available. I have one on my 2000 TR186 which was mounted on June 9th or so. I replaced a 2001 150hp Optimax with it. I love the motor, smooth, quiet and a tad faster on top end by 1-2mph but not dialed in yet. That may be because it will push a 24"pitch prop to 5,900 rpm where the Opti pushed a 23" to 5,600rpm. The Opti was right at 60mph with a 23" Tempest Plus where the Pro XS is 61-62mph with a 24" Fury prop. I'm thinking about repitching the 23" Tempest Plus to 24" (at 23" it goes over max rpm for the Pro XS) to see which gives better performance. I think out of the hole and through midrange the Opti was quicker but I have no complaints with this 4 stroke. I'm waiting for a water pressure sensor before I start messing with engine height to dial-it-in. And in my opinion, a darn good looking motor as well. By the way, does anyone have an opinion on which prop will be the better performer if both are 24"pitch.
    The 24 Fury should perform better have you plugged all the holes or are all of them open on your prop?

8. Member
    On the Fury all the holes are open, no plugs. On the Tempest Plus 2 holes are open and one hole has a large plug.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    PVS openings affect holeshot (to some extent, anyway on a 4-stroke). Not nearly as much as on 2-stroke models, however. Often PLUGGED works just fine.

You can, however, adjust to any combination you like to tailor the holeshot to your vessel.

WOT speed isn't really affected. I do think the Fury would be preferable (IMHO).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Yeah Don the holeshot is pretty good with the plugs removed. It's the way I got the prop and I see no reason to change it.

11. Banned
    By the way, does anyone have an opinion on which prop will be the better performer if both are 24"pitch
    I wouldn’t rule out a Trophy on that hull, I have the same boat and the 4 blade is every bit as fast as the Tempest and a lot less trim sensitive. The Tempest is my backup prop

12. Banned
    My boat came with a 24" Tempest on the standard 150hp 4-stroke with 1.92 gear ratio which I turned to 65mph on the 5900rpm limiter and switched to 24" Fury as I didn't like the rough water characteristics of the Tempest and wasn't interested in going to 25". The Fury turned 66mph at 5800rpm. It didn't have the lift in the heat when loaded to put the boat on the final pad though wondering if some of that was the motor mounts allowing more flex after running in rough water and getting worn, haven't got to test theory yet with the recently installed upgraded mounts. Regardless I bought a 24" small hub trophy plus and run it with no exhaust ring/PVS plugs which allows for the best holeshot and runs the same 65mph as the Tempest, but at lower 5800rpm like the Fury. One benefit of the better natura lift of the trophy over Fury equates to better mpg from less hydrodynamic drag, hope that helps.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Lots of good info here... some related to original topic, some not so much.

Let's remember the "one engine per thread" rule, and try to avoid a little confusion when someone comes back to read the thread. Thanks!