Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sell me on a Phoenix

Got the approval from the Mrs. to get a new boat. I own an older Ranger 491VS that is 21 foot and has served me well. I am looking at a Ranger 520 C. What is a comparable model in the Phoenix lineup. What do you guys like about them, and if anyone went from a Ranger to a Phoenix, please chime in. I know nothing about them other than what I can garner from the website. Are they considered a fast boat? What's the main difference between the 721 and the 920?
    I'm approaching this with an open mind as this will be my last boat ever. I've had my current Ranger for over 20 years. I live in West Texas, so there is no Phoenix dealer close....but the closest Ranger dealer is like 2 hours away...so no big deal...but I will have to travel a lot farther to get any problems fixed if I go Phoenix.

Thanks for your time
    Last edited by bass806; 06-23-2018 at 05:22 PM.

2. Member
    920 PHX or the 920 Pro XP.

3. Scraps
    721 great value, 920 the flagship that is closer to your 520. I went from a 461 to a Phoenix. Just based on engine availability, if I did it again I may go with Skeeter to get a SHO. At the time a Ranger was just waaaaay out of my price range when I bought the Phoenix. Trailer sucks compared to a RangerTrail.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    The Phoenix will be a much softer ride when hitting the rough stuff. Storage on the PHX is about the same as your 520. The fit and finish will go to the Rangers but the Phoenix are well built boats. When the trolling motor is over the bow, the ranger will be a tad better not enough to matter. The Phoenix faster same boat length. The 721 will be about the same length as your 520. The 920 will be 3" shorter but nearly as wide as the 520. The 721 light loaded and set up right will be a 77-79 MPH. The 920 will be about the same. The boats will be about 75-76 loaded. The customer service is as good as you can get on the Phoenix. The Ranger will be easier to drive till you get use to it. Think Bass Cat,Triton, and Bullet for the way it drives. I had no problem learning to drive the 921. You will love which every boat you buy. The resale will be about the same as all used boats are selling pretty good since the boat companies are so far behind on production. I guess what little a gave up between my 2012 Z522 and 2004 VX 521 for the Phoenix 921 I gain on the soft ride. My 921 ran 75 MPH loaded two men.

5. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Phoenix 921 hit the nail on the head. Hard sayin what a Phoenix will do with the new Merc 4 stroke tho. I have a 921 pro xp /sho, and a with full gas and co-angler, + all gear, I regularly hit 72. I don't get to 75 in this heat, but I do when it cools down.

6. Member
    Take a ride/drive in both boats. You'll see a huge difference.
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

7. Member
    Coming from an R. a Z119...the difference is incredible. Granted, its not a apples to apples because I went to the 21 PHX, but the ride is incredible and blows the ride of the R out; hands down. Example: you know when you are out on a lake and there are a lot of pleasure boaters out. The waves get that long trough in between them and my R would "slap" going over them. The Phoenix just glides right over. The bow lift is a big part but the hull design and the bow lift make it an incredible ride. Even fishing main lake with 3 footers it is easy to continue fishing...i find I can maintain my balance a lot easier.

Additionally, the hole shot and "coming over to pad" time is a lot easier and getting there is quicker.

EDIT: you will also find spanking those jet skiers that always want to race a lot more fun too.

my .02 cents.
    Last edited by caddyjoe77; 06-24-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: additional info

Go buy the boat go elsewhere to buy a trailer
    Phoenix 919 pro xp

9. Member
    Can a Phoenix be purchased without the trailer? That would be a great option, as I’m not a fan of my trailer.

Whats wrong with the trailers?

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray23 View Post
    Whats wrong with the trailers?
    ^^^THIS^^^^^^?

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Quote Originally Posted by Triton19x2 View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^^^^?
    +2... I hear a lot of complaining about the trailers. My trailer is nice, actually... no problems. It carries the boat to and from the lake like it’s supposed to do, and it pulls, looks, and functions great. Are bass boat trailers supposed to do anything more?
    2018 Phoenix 919 Pro XP, 225 Pro XS

Ultrex 112#, Helix 10s, NightFishion HD-8

”Midnight Special”

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark Phoenix View Post
    +2... I hear a lot of complaining about the trailers. My trailer is nice, actually... no problems. It carries the boat to and from the lake like it’s supposed to do, and it pulls, looks, and functions great. Are bass boat trailers supposed to do anything more?
    Obviously you have yet to experience one of those self launching/loading trailers. They are nice and if you get the hull buffing option on one, you will never buy a regular tow to the lake and home again trailer...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Phnx#22 View Post
    Obviously you have yet to experience one of those self launching/loading trailers. They are nice and if you get the hull buffing option on one, you will never buy a regular tow to the lake and home again trailer...ever.
    2018 Phoenix 919 Pro XP, 225 Pro XS

Ultrex 112#, Helix 10s, NightFishion HD-8

”Midnight Special”

Also on a serious note. I met the man that sells composite materials t0 90% of all boat manufactures last week. We were talking about the shortage of employees in the boat industry (east TN area) and the conversation slipped into the quality of bass boats. Without prompting him and him not knowing I was a Phoenix owner. He says " Now Phoenix, they build that boat right. The materials they use to assemble those boats is aircraft grade and solid. You might damage the Gel coat on one but you really have to hit something with force to cause damage to that boat is so well built. They are the only bass boat manufacture that the Ranger people asked about when they started to get steady sales."

Phnx#22, I had a similar experience. I recently took my 921 to a regional Humminbird service center to diagnose a frequency interference issue I was having between my bow mounted Helix 12 DI unit, 360 unit and Ultrex 112. Unprompted, the technician, who had that had a PhD in electrical engineering, stated phoenix boats are one of the best wired boats coming out of the factory. Had I brought him a ranger, they would of started their diagnose/fix by re-wiring everything from the batteries forward.

17. Member
    Ranger is still one of the best made boats out there imo, but The ride of the phoenix and the customer service makes it a no brainer for me. It just isn't comparable. I'm on my third921 and could get any boat I wanted and I wouldnt' even think of going away from Phoenix.
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

18. Member
    BTW-I like the trailers.... Now mine has shocks on it and I have never pulled it further than 700 miles one way, but when I pull it to lake Erie from SC it tows great. not sure what the problem is ..maybe its the smaller boats?
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    BTW-I like the trailers.... Now mine has shocks on it and I have never pulled it further than 700 miles one way, but when I pull it to lake Erie from SC it tows great. not sure what the problem is ..maybe its the smaller boats?

Love mine, GLAD I don't have fiberglass fenders.. I would have a fair amount of damaged dealt by now lol.
    I did have a bearing blow and the trailer's only 3 years old.. Everything else is top notch.
    Shawn.D
    2015 Phoenix 618pro w/ 150 Evinrude Etec HO

20. Member
    I have 3 close friends with newer Rangers (14-17), every one of them has had some serious issues with their trailers. From axles, hubs, brakes, and structural. Ranger trailers are over hyped. Bass cat trailers, now those a thing of beauty.
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast