SUCCESS-1st time Prop Removal

2B231582, 2016 250 Pro XS
    Wingmaster
    Changing lower unit oil, removed nut, 3 washers pulled on prop and doesn't seem to want to come off. Trick? Something I'm missing? Thanks.

Thanks for all the input. Quick look everything seems fine. Little celebration cocktail and after a thorough inspection I'll be ready for my 1st gear oil change. 2 jaw puller from inside exhaust on hub, 2 turns and she slid right off.
    Last edited by sheffism; 06-25-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: SUCCESS

2. Banned
    Tap the prop on the back side with a rubber mallet... Grease on the prop shaft is probably "holding" it... Dan

Thanks Dan I tried that with a block of wood on back of blades. Did not want to strike too hard. Is there any other reason it won't come off? This is a new lower unit and I need to do the 20 hour gear oil change. Thanks again.

4. Member
    Sounds like someone didn't lubricate the splines of the prop shaft, when the new lower unit was installed. Pull hard on the prop and tap evenly.

Gonna soak with PB blaster and try again in morning. Skeeters and 107 heat index + frustration has taken enough toll today. Thanks everyone.

100% freshwater. 127 hours. The lower was installed by the Merc. mechanic that follows the BASS opens. I'm sure he greased splines but, I was not there. Soaked in PB blaster, tried wood block on ears front edge, put washers back on, torqued nut to 55 ft lbs. Removed nut and washers, wood block taps. Still nothing pulled with all I got and NOTHING. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by sheffism View Post
    100% freshwater. 127 hours. The lower was installed by the Merc. mechanic that follows the BASS opens. I'm sure he greased splines but, I was not there. Soaked in PB blaster, tried wood block on ears front edge, put washers back on, torqued nut to 55 ft lbs. Removed nut and washers, wood block taps. Still nothing pulled with all I got and NOTHING. Any suggestions?
    You may be able to rent a three jaw puller with right arms on it to atach to the PVS holes to remove it, many parts rent pullers. Do not use extreme force though. I would be inclined to hold the installer responsible for this issue though
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Per your IM...

Use a bigger (2-4lb) dead blow hammer... Hit hard and rotate the blades. Keep going around hitting the back side of each blade. It should come off pretty easy using this method.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffism View Post

Prop should slide off and on easily...… Pressure must be applied evenly, while pulling the prop straight off the shaft. I grease the splines of my prop shaft, and it comes off easily every time.

What was the reason that your lower unit was changed, did it suffer an impact? When the lower unit was changed did they use your original prop and hub kit assembly?

Thanks Savage, Boat was brothers, fishing a BASS open, hit stump. BASS touring rep replaced LU with new next day. Not sure about original prop/hub, will find out. Gonna try a 3 jaw puller tomorrow after work. Appreciate everyone's input will post results of puller.

11. Member
    New lower beacause of bent prop shaft on day 1 at Costa on Seminole. Installed by Mercury service trailer. Yes on same prop and hub.
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

12. Member
    Possible that the USED hub kit is damaged in some way.

Should I try the 3 jaw? Inside exhaust or outside in PVS holes? What's the worse case, new hub?

GOT IT! Edited OP, Thanks everyone.

Well... how did you get it? That prop was really on there

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

In the OP at top. 2 finger puller.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to clean that shaft and lubricate it with 2-4-C grease before reinstalling. Good job!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10-4, will be sending Rhonda a web order for a new hub kit (840389K06) and manual (90-8M0071433) as added insurance and peace of mind. Good talking with you and thanks for all you both do.