Can software update be removed from Humminbird Helix 9 Gen 2?

I have searched around on the Humminbird site and this board and havent found an answer. Last trip out on the lake my Humminbird Helix 9 Gen 2 was working great...side imaging was working as it should, I updated with the latest software release following instructions exactly, restoring defaults first , update went without incident. Next trip to the lake the side imaging was only showing the right side image....checked all settings to make sure they were correct, views tab was set correctly...next morning I noticed the left side image was very very faint but later in the day didn't appear to be any image at all. I have contacted Humminbird customer service and they suggested I check some settings which I did, but I was wondering if this was from the software update, if I could remove it and go back to the other version soft ware, I could determine that pretty quickly. It may not be possible with out some interface with a pc, but just wondering if I could try that, I have changed the transducer to the spare I have for that unit...havent been back on the water yet to see if that is the issue. Or any other suggestions for possible solutions would be appreciated.

Yes you can if there was not a note in the current software description stating you cannot. It is done the same way as updating via memory card

Quote Originally Posted by dwingo1568 View Post
    I have searched around on the Humminbird site and this board and havent found an answer. Last trip out on the lake my Humminbird Helix 9 Gen 2 was working great...side imaging was working as it should, I updated with the latest software release following instructions exactly, restoring defaults first , update went without incident. Next trip to the lake the side imaging was only showing the right side image....checked all settings to make sure they were correct, views tab was set correctly...next morning I noticed the left side image was very very faint but later in the day didn't appear to be any image at all. I have contacted Humminbird customer service and they suggested I check some settings which I did, but I was wondering if this was from the software update, if I could remove it and go back to the other version soft ware, I could determine that pretty quickly. It may not be possible with out some interface with a pc, but just wondering if I could try that, I have changed the transducer to the spare I have for that unit...havent been back on the water yet to see if that is the issue. Or any other suggestions for possible solutions would be appreciated.
    BTW, use the whole model name when discussing your unit--Helix 9 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Thanks..so where can I find instructions for how to do that..or do I just down load the previous version and go thru the update process?

Quote Originally Posted by dwingo1568 View Post
    Thanks..so where can I find instructions for how to do that..or do I just down load the previous version and go thru the update process?
    There is zero difference updating and downdating. You just need the previous software downloaded to a memory card.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Thanks Wayne, I have learned a lot from all the information you have posted, I know it takes a lot of time and effort on you part...so just a note to thank you for all that you have contributed..

7. Member
    Humminbird warns against downgrading your software, saying it may brick your unit. If you think about it, the warning makes sense. The software on the SD card is presumably loaded through software already on the unit, not by a hardware function. So if they happened to change the software that loads new software, it may not recognize the structure or content of an old software version. I'm not saying this is the case but it could be, and would explain the warning.