Thread: No oil light

No oil light

05 etec 250 E250DPLSOC. Last night got a no oil alarm on my way back to the landing. Shut it down and tried restarting. Light comes back on 30 seconds after turning the key on with a 10 second alarm. Today I pulled out the pick up tube from the remote tank and made sure that was clean. Also pulled the wires there and cleaned them up. No change. Next tried pumping the primer bulb to force oil through. Could see it flowing in the lines. Pulled the oil pressure sensor and pumped the bulb and had a good flow of oil. Reinstalled the sensor. No change. Tried the winterization twice with no change. Let it idle on muffs and could see oil flowing through the lines on top of the oil pump. I'm guessing it is a sensor problem but not sure if there is anything else to try. Dealer said needs a new oil pump but want to try anything else before dropping $900 on that.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

2. Member
    Have you tried a new gauge? I had a similar issue and changed vro pump. It turned out to be the $40 gauge.

Remove the connector from the pump mounted sensor and inspect it for oil residue. If any is found, the sensor has an internal leak and may be giving false signals
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

4. Member
    Seahorse, is it possible to get the sensor separate from the oil pump? I can't find it in the parts diagrams and neither can the dealer. Shouldn't have to spend a couple hundred bucks for a sensor.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

5. Member
    Took the dealer this morning and the oil pump is bad via testing. Said there was no continuity on the inner coils. Ordered a new one so hopefully that fixes it.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

Quote Originally Posted by dbuchmann View Post
    Took the dealer this morning and the oil pump is bad via testing. Said there was no continuity on the inner coils. Ordered a new one so hopefully that fixes it.
    That resistance test should have been on of the first procedures in troubleshooting a no oil condition
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !