Opti 135 broken rear upper cowl latch

Model year 2000. The V6 release handle for the rear upper cowl latch has disengaged from the latch hook preventing the release from disengaging so I cannot remove the upper cowl. It merely spins around in circles now. I have pulled on it and turned, pushed on it and turned without success. I cannot even find schematics to look at to determine a solution. Before I start drilling/cutting holes in this pristine cowl I wonder if any members have dealt with this situation. The latch worked flawlessly without a hint of problem prior to failure. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    2.5L Forum (next down the list) is the appropriate forum for this engine. Be sure to provide the Serial Number when posting.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor