Thread: Flame boss

Flame boss

I bought a new flame boss 300 yesterday to smoke a pork shoulder with. I'm about 5 hours in now everything was rolling along nicely, but all of a sudden the FB meat temp started dropping. I've got another meverick thermometer in it also. They were both up to about 152* by hour 4 now the new fb has dropped to 124* and holding. The other is reading 170 and I stuck another thermo in to confirm it. Any ideas what's going on with the FB? Did I get a bad probe?

2. Banned
    You can check the probe in a pot of boiling water. Sea level is 212°...

Have you placed meat probes in the meat side by side for comparison? Reposition the meat probe? Call FB...they'll send you one.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    You can check the probe in a pot of boiling water. Sea level is 212°...

Have you placed meat probes in the meat side by side for comparison? Reposition the meat probe? Call FB...they'll send you one.
    I've repositioned the probe as well as the other 2. They are dead on with one another. FB has come up slightly to 127 now. I unplugged it and tried again it is just reads the same. The pit probe and controller are working fine, so I'm guessing its just defective.

4. Banned
    Probably is....just call them. They will get one to you asap.

5. Member
    Another thing I noticed was the egg thermo was about 20-25* cooler than the pit temp on the FB? Is that normal being higher up in the egg? I checked the thermo a month ago when I got the egg. It was right on in a pot of boiling water.

6. Banned
    I clip my FB to my egg thermometer...I don't really care about pit temp. If you do a 15hr cook both will eventually read the same. And yes that is normal.

7. Member
    Emailed flame boss, they had a replacement meat probe and pit probe to me next day!