Phoenix 618 setup Problem

I have a 2017 phoenix 618 with a 175 sho on it with a 24p yamaha prop and it takes forever to get on plane with 2 people and water in the livewells. What are you guys running for a prop? and prop to pad height? Or any other info that might help?
    Thanks

2. Member
    I have a 618 with a 150 Merc 4stroke. I used to have similar issues until I got a hydraulic jackplate. Before I put the hydraulic plate I found that if the motor was higher my holeshot was better but I would lose top speed because the prop would ventilate too much. If the motor was lower I had better top speed but my holeshot wasn't good. Around 3 3/8" below pad was about the best compromise. I'm sure it will be different for you with an SHO.

The hydraulic jackplate absolutely transformed the boat. I can start off with the motor really high and the stern doesn't dig in. The boat just scoots forward and picks up speed. As it starts to lift I gradually lower the motor until we're on plane. It's great because you can instantly adjust the motor for any condition.

3. Member
    Don't own your motor but rather a proxs 150. 22p on mine. I've seen many posts in threads guys trying to run 23 and at times 24 on the 150 without much luck and top end not really any better then 22p. Not much info on your motor but try a search.

Not only does mine jump on plane but it will do so pulling a tube. I have an atlas on mine but don't mess with it unless in super shallow water
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

4. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Many will tell you the sho like to run high. You'll get on plane faster, and have better top end. You need to check your p2p. I would start at 3 inches below pad, and go up 1/4" at a time. Watch your water pressure as you raise it. If your prop blows out on holeshot, or wot, move motor back down to previous spot. That will be it.
    If you still have trouble getting on plane after doing that, consider getting your prop worked, or going to a lower pitch, or a 4 blade.
    Good luck!

5. Member
    I have the same setup. When my boat was on order they had a 24p that was on back order so I was running a 23p 3blade. It wasn't exactly blazing trails with the 23p so I called Phoenix and they said that the 24p recommendation was incorrect and I should be running a 22p SHO prop so my dealer switched the order. It made a world of difference and runs great with the 22p.

Curious, what's your top end with the 24p?

I've got a '16 618 with a 150 SHO and run with a 22p Vmax SHO prop. My p2p is @ 3.25" I think. I like what I'm getting out of this set up.

7. Member
    I have a 175 merc Pro Xs and run a 24 tempest plus with Hydraulic jack plate. I do have two prop vent plugs completely out. My rig hops up quick and rolls.