No parts for Ultrex???

I bought an Ultrex this spring and it’s been nothing but a boat anchor. It’s never worked properly since the first day on the water. It shuts off in any mode you attempt to use it in. And if it doesn’t shut off the foot pedal locks up and you can’t turn it unless you shut it off and turn it back on. My batteries are brand new. I read a ton of threads on here and seen that the 2017 models had issues with the pedals and minnkota advised all their service centres to replace the steering board in them. So I had mine replaced and still garbage. This has been a huge disappointment to me, I’ve had to fish 2 tournaments now and I wasn’t even able to use my ultrex. It’s been sitting at a service dealer for a month now and they tell me they can’t get the parts to fix it. They want to replace the control board in it. Is minnkota actually unable to supply parts for their products after such a period of time?? Or am I getting screwed by the dealer ?? I’ve been very patient but now it’s really starting to wear on me. How can minnkota not have a control board for over a month??

2. Member
    Does it start to run than shuts down and can keep repeating that? I had issue with mine on my 2017 Ranger 621 and thought it was control board. Done some trouble shooting with a meter and turned out it was the breaker for the TM. It wouldn’t trip the breaker but would pull enough draw to shut TM down.

Replaced it it and never an issue since.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookerz Tackle View Post
    Does it start to run than shuts down and can keep repeating that? I had issue with mine on my 2017 Ranger 621 and thought it was control board. Done some trouble shooting with a meter and turned out it was the breaker for the TM. It wouldn’t trip the breaker but would pull enough draw to shut TM down.

Replaced it it and never an issue since.
    Ive already been down that path, went out and bought a minnkota 60 amp breaker and it never changed a thing.

4. Member
    K. Just thought would offer up what I ran into.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bard18 View Post
    I bought an Ultrex this spring and it’s been nothing but a boat anchor. It’s never worked properly since the first day on the water. It shuts off in any mode you attempt to use it in. And if it doesn’t shut off the foot pedal locks up and you can’t turn it unless you shut it off and turn it back on. My batteries are brand new. I read a ton of threads on here and seen that the 2017 models had issues with the pedals and minnkota advised all their service centres to replace the steering board in them. So I had mine replaced and still garbage. This has been a huge disappointment to me, I’ve had to fish 2 tournaments now and I wasn’t even able to use my ultrex. It’s been sitting at a service dealer for a month now and they tell me they can’t get the parts to fix it. They want to replace the control board in it. Is minnkota actually unable to supply parts for their products after such a period of time?? Or am I getting screwed by the dealer ?? I’ve been very patient but now it’s really starting to wear on me. How can minnkota not have a control board for over a month??
    My recommendation would be to contact Minn Kota directly. It's troubling to see all these Ultrex problems. I was considering getting one but won't due to all the problems that have been happening and the slow service to boot. I won't risk buying a Trolling Motor with known issues that requires an ASC, my closest ASC is over an hour away.

6. Member
    You fail to say what boat this is on, so I can't determine the factory wire size. I've not had a problem getting parts I need.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    My recommendation would be to contact Minn Kota directly. It's troubling to see all these Ultrex problems. I was considering getting one but won't due to all the problems that have been happening and the slow service to boot. I won't risk buying a Trolling Motor with known issues that requires an ASC, my closest ASC is over an hour away.
    Yes, I’m also an hour away which doesn’t help.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    You fail to say what boat this is on, so I can't determine the factory wire size. I've not had a problem getting parts I need.
    Its on a 2013 Triton 21 HP. 36 volt system. Interesting that you don’t have any issue getting parts. I’ll phone Minnkota on Monday and see what they have to say.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookerz Tackle View Post
    K. Just thought would offer up what I ran into.
    Thanks, I wish mine would have been that simple!

10. Member
    Well all I can say is I am like John. I have no problem getting parts. Remember Canada and US are at war over tariff in imports. That might be the issue. From what you describe I would say you have a problem on your boat. A bad connection would be the suspect. Most of the newer troll motors with spot lock and even the ones without are very sensitive to power inconsistencies. Go through with a fine tooth cone. You might find something.