Thread: 83 mph PII

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    John doesn't like foot throttle that's why it's like that. And yes it has a worked lower unit
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    get yourself a hotfoot installed and get 2 hands on that wheel. Not a bash comment either; strictly for safety. You are reaching the blow out threshold with the stock gearcase on that SHO (unless there's a sporty hangin off the bottom) and having 2 hands on the wheel if needed may prove beneficial. Nice driving too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jusmangrum View Post
    John doesn't like foot throttle that's why it's like that. And yes it has a worked lower unit
    Yep. Appreciate the heads up AllyFishing but Ive always been a hand throttle guy. Ive actually have been considering giving a hotfoot another try, I just wish there was something available besides the standard clunky squeaky old school hotfoot that they have been selling for decades without an update! Then again maybe it's just cause Ive never had a new one, or tried to tune one so that it's smoother?!...

And yes the lower has been worked by Propeller Dynamics with knowledge they gained running an SHO on an Ally. Mods are slight, but I could feel that it was hooked up better and tracked straighter. Even at 88 it felt hooked up and solid. They told me the same mods done to mine has gone well over 90 without issue. I know different hull, but still better than stock
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    When I first watched the video, I was like "He isn't trimming at all"! LOL!
    It wasn't till a few comments that I realized you were using the hand throttle trim.
    What's interesting is your left steering input isn't a constant bump. Its as needed. Some drivers it seems are constantly hammering the steering.
    That to me is really knowing your boat. How it reacts and correcting it before it happens.
    I have plenty buddies with BCB's, Blazer, and Bullets. A couple of them are smooth and can really get the most out of a hull.
    Some can keep the boat flat, but it isn't pretty. I know having someone drive my boat would really speed up my learning curve.
    I had an Eyra, but it handled different at faster speeds.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    You are absolutely correct on the foot throttles. I would have expected greater improvements on the working portions of the throttles by now. My hot foot from the 80's is no different than the one on my 2013 boat. In fact, I removed mine a year or so ago and readjusted it and lubricated it cuz it sounded like metal grinding on metal so I hear ya on that for sure!!

I didn't know Robbie worked SHO cases.

I'll look for ya in late September when the wife and I hit Hartwell for our annual vacation.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    I thought I would need to buy a Stroker to kill myself in a bass boat. Good to know I can get a Cat with an SHO. Sick ride !

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    That is my rig, thanks for the compliments guys. Shes def a fun rig but does demand your respect, in that vid it looks really easy to drive but if you aren't on top of the wheel and making corrections BEFORE the chine starts she can get squirley quick! Also that was 83 mph where the chines outside of the center pad (which is pretty small on the PII) are still touching. When I get her aired out above 85 I can feel those last chines release and then its 100% concentration as there is only about an 8" wide pad in the water! it took some practice to get comfortable there, and Ive seen 88 on the right days. Never ran her unloaded so I know 90 is possible, just haven't put in the work to do it.

Wheelman, what is in the link you are asking about? It wouldn't open for me... EDIT: It opened, I am not running solid mounts, the stockers are doing just fine for me. I would however HIGHLY recommend HT Marine for tuning and anything else, they are top notch, test before they sell, and 100% back what they sell! Wayne and crew are awesome!!!

dvkawboy, yes there is more than normal setback, at the speeds this rig is capable of it helped with lift and stability... seemed that at that speed the sweet spot for the prop to be in was a little further back than normal, and it also allowed me to run the engine about an inch higher.

Couple of BCB emplyees got to see it at the Classic and one went for a ride, said it was the baddest Cat he ever rode in which was a huge compliment... maybe he was just being nice haha!

Also, the run posted above was with full wells and every compartment slap full, and ballast to make up for lack of co-angler. Basically as heavy as it could be. She is a true 82-84 tourney loaded rig, even with co and there are a few guys in Va that can confirm that lol!

Anyone in SC is welcome to come for a ride too!
    Bad@$$ cat, wish I was closer to go for a ride! You run 93 octane all the time in it or only when looking for those last couple of mph/ponies?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    Bad@$$ cat, wish I was closer to go for a ride! You run 93 octane all the time in it or only when looking for those last couple of mph/ponies?
    I have 89 non-eth available here so I run that most times, if I know I'm going to be running WOT a lot or lots of holeshots (milk-runs during tourney) I put some 93 non-eth in first just to make sure octane is high enough.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

8. Member
    I had my Old Classic running in the 83 mph range for a while. It was a fun little rig to run. The outer chines would release on that one right around 80mph with a 27" Trophy and I thought it was awesome to feel that air pack under the outer corners or the hull. I've got a picture of it running 80 ish that shows the chines really well but can't figure out how to post the dang thing.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

Here ya go shap. Very cool pic.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

Bass Cat employees should never comment on, step a foot, or lay a hand on a boat knowing it was flashed above ratings. We have a policy to stay away from assisting, working on, endorsing or commenting on anything with modifications that increase horsepower above boat ratings, or engines rigged which are above horsepower ratings. The staff at the lake was broad in spectrum.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatlildave View Post
    WOW!! That's flying the bow!! Great pic. Smmmmmmmoken!!!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Bass Cat employees should never comment on, step a foot, or lay a hand on a boat knowing it was flashed above ratings. We have a policy to stay away from assisting, working on, endorsing or commenting on anything with modifications that increase horsepower above boat ratings, or engines rigged which are above horsepower ratings. The staff at the lake was broad in spectrum.
    I totally understand the liability of ANYTHING modified. Also the business integrity that the employees must comply with.
    It is however impressive of the performance of both hulls. Moreover I am impressed with his driving ability.
    I was able to get my Eyra near the upper 70's, and was smooth doing it. The PII reacts quicker to inputs IMO while driving the chine. Basically I'm putting in to much steering input.
    Was definitely educational watching the smooth inputs during that fast run!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Member
    Thanks for posting. It's not the best quality picture. That was a fun ride.

Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

Pantera Classic with a 200 3.0 EFI was a nice ride.

15. Banned
    Awesome pic!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Pantera Classic with a 200 3.0 EFI was a nice ride.
    Speaking of 3.0L 200hp and Classic's, what year did they move from 2.5L and when did y'all make the switch to belly tanks?

17. Member
    I believe the belly tanks started in 2004 if memory serves me correctly. The 3.0 liter came out in 2003 but the 2.5 was still available several years after that. That 3.0 liter was a beast and nearly unbreakable. The man guy that bought my old classic in 2004 recently sold it and put a new optimax 200 on her. That 3.0 liter had well over 2000 hours on it. It kept enough gas flowing through the cylinders to keep it cool even without water!! LOL!
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    I believe the belly tanks started in 2004 if memory serves me correctly. The 3.0 liter came out in 2003 but the 2.5 was still available several years after that. That 3.0 liter was a beast and nearly unbreakable. The man guy that bought my old classic in 2004 recently sold it and put a new optimax 200 on her. That 3.0 liter had well over 2000 hours on it. It kept enough gas flowing through the cylinders to keep it cool even without water!! LOL!
    Haha, that's impressive!

I thought they both happened around the same time and had always wondered if they shifted weight forward to offset the power gained with more cubes or if it just was coincidental with the move for rear storage compartments.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    I have 89 non-eth available here so I run that most times, if I know I'm going to be running WOT a lot or lots of holeshots (milk-runs during tourney) I put some 93 non-eth in first just to make sure octane is high enough.
    J Risco
    Trying to PM you. Messages are full.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12