Thread: Vent Plugs

Scraps

Vent Plugs

Had my motor at a dealer to check a TPS fault code. They noticed I had one plug in the prop. Told me this was a no-no and I needed to use all plugs or no plugs to keep the prop in balance. I have a three blade Fury.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See Announcements- Please be sure to provide the Required info.

Whomever told you this is not adequately familiar with the PVS venting system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Whomever told you this is not adequately familiar with the PVS venting system.
    That's a nice way to put it..

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Had my motor at a dealer to check a TPS fault code. They noticed I had one plug in the prop. Told me this was a no-no and I needed to use all plugs or no plugs to keep the prop in balance. I have a three blade Fury.
    I have yet to see anyone that is running a Fury set up right that has any plugs in it!.... Some even have additional vent hole which is also the wrong thing to do in my oppinion. Send it to Ronnie Gilbert and he will get the prop right and it will come to life.

You will feel a little vibrations on throttle tip in, which I do agree is imbalance because the blades are not eqaully loaded. I have seen this with tempest props and verfied it does happen. I verified this by using three large plugs and die grinding them out to the point they were almost not there at all, Vibration was gone. Those oversize plugs did not provide as a hole shot as one large one did. This was no surprise to me , just a verification as what that vibration was when taking off. Most people do not even notice it. It will be totaly gone before the rpm hits 3500. About that time you have enough speed the they are no longer venting. About the same as having solid plugs. If you nail the throttle hard you wont even notice it, only when bringing it up slow.
    Most tempest guys end up using one large plug with no problems, Two or three large ones just do vent enough for a good holeshot on most setups
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-22-2018 at 11:42 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

WOW. They need to find another job and my boat would never see that shop again
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

6. Banned
    Wonder what their thought process would be if they saw my prop. "Extra holes!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    Wonder what their thought process would be if they saw my prop. "Extra holes!!!!!
    Shlong as you're using all your holes, or none, good.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD