All things equal - Crestliner PT18 or Lowe 195c?

Dad is looking to purchase his retirement boat. He has never had a new boat or even a remotely new to me type of boat. I want to make sure he is getting a good boat. I know nothing about either, but we have some great dealers nearby, one carries lowe and another crestliner. Both will have fortrex 80#, 115 pro xs, etc. The 150hp is too much of a jump in price, so sticking with 115hp.

Which boat do you prefer or would you pick and why? pros/cons?

Thanks for the help.

https://www.crestliner.com/pt/pt-18/

https://www.loweboats.com/stinger-ba...s/stinger-195/

2. Member
    Either boat is good. I have sold many Lowe 195 models with different engine combinations with zero complaints. Boats are built strong. It's by far my favorite in our fish boat lineup.

Both boats are built by Lowe.

3. Member
    Both boats are built by Lowe.
    I was pleased with my 18HP, with the exception of the infamous porpoise. I would get the Crestliner based on two items - it's 6" wider and if the dealer is closer.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    I can't speak for the Lowe, but I love my PT18. It has a ton of storage, a nice ride and plenty of room. I also went with the pro xs 115, my boat does around 40mph fully loaded with 2 guys. I also have the fortrex 80 and with the trolling motor down it fishes great. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Steve
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

5. Member
    You may want to compare the Lowe 188 next to the PT18. The 195 is our Crappie boat. More narrow for fishing timber. All three are great.

As far as porpoise issues. I am not aware of any problems, on any Lowe boats that other modvee brands have not experienced also. I sold several HP 188 elites with pad hulls with no porpoise problems. Correct propping and engine height was a must along with batteries in the proper location. As it is with all boats.
    Last edited by texoma; 06-23-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Dad ended up going with the Lowe 195c. It was the local dealer, and he was able to get the depth finders he wanted and ultrex for under what he would have paid for the crestliner without the electronics he wanted. Both boats seemed to have been built really well.

It'll be sometime this week and he'll pick it up. They are wiring up all the depth finders and ultrex.

The two biggest factors were 1) local dealer on the lowe v. 1.5 hrs for the crestliner dealer; and 2) he really liked the front livewell. He does not bass fish unless I am with him, but he does a lot of panfishing, so the livewell upfront worked better for him.

7. Member
    Good to see another Lowe owner welcome to the club, my Lowe deep v boat is built like a tank and has been great for over 300 Hrs! Saw somewhere the welded Crestliners are built by Lowe!
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkkky View Post
    Good to see another Lowe owner welcome to the club, my Lowe deep v boat is built like a tank and has been great for over 300 Hrs! Saw somewhere the welded Crestliners are built by Lowe!

Both owned by the same company, and I believe both welded in Lebanon, Missouri (I know Lowe is for sure in Lebanon). This one should serve its purpose well.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KyLakeLunker View Post
    Both owned by the same company, and I believe both welded in Lebanon, Missouri (I know Lowe is for sure in Lebanon). This one should serve its purpose well.
    Some look down on them but I think they are a good boat at decent price. Went to SD Walleye fishing a year ago and was surrounded by Lunds and Rangers and a few Alumacraft.

Still mad at Johnny for throwing Lowe overboard, think God I haven't needed warranty on the boat. However they will still work on my Mercury if I would let them.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

Some look down on them but I think they are a good boat at decent price. Went to SD Walleye fishing a year ago and was surrounded by Lunds and Rangers and a few Alumacraft.

Still mad at Johnny for throwing Lowe overboard, think God I haven't needed warranty on the boat. However they will still work on my Mercury if I would let them.
    Dad looked at a lund, the ranger rt188. the lund renagade had a wide beam but narrowed quickly, the ranger was nice, wider beam than lowe, but it also narrowed at the front quickly and did not carry the beam forward much. One thing for sure, there are several really nice tins out there.

Odd that it has a beam of 90" and a package width of 89"

https://www.loweboats.com/stinger-ba...specifications

Overall Length 18'10" 5.74 m
    Package Length 253" 642.62 cm
    Beam 90" 228.60 cm
    Package Width 89" 226.06 cm

12. Member
    Lowe builds all modvees for Crestliner and Lund. Also Modvee bass for Crestliner.
    Deepvee Crestliners are built in New York Mills MN. At the Lund Boat factory.
    Crestliner has had no production facility for many years now.

13. Member

Lowe boats are second to none in build quality. Its not that people look down on them. Lowe owners are just not a big makeup of posters on this forum. That FS 1710 you have is built for the long haul as most Lowe Boats are.

As for the OP your father bought a boat you guys will be proud of for years to come. Glad you chose the 195C I love front livewell boats.
    Last edited by texoma; 06-27-2018 at 01:26 PM.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by texoma View Post
    Lowe builds all modvees for Crestliner and Lund. Also Modvee bass for Crestliner.
    Deepvee Crestliners are built in New York Mills MN. At the Lund Boat factory.
    Crestliner has had no production facility for many years now.
    Does Crestliner build boats anymore???

15. Member
    Crestliner Makes there own deep v boats. I believe the VT models are made in Mo, not 100% sure about the PT.s though. It would surprise me if Lowe built Lunds Renegade series since they aren't welded. But not sure on that either.

As to the OP's question, if you fish tournaments, the PT18 hands down. Bigger livewells and more storage. Plus jackplate and 2 Talons or Power Poles wont void your waranty.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Does Crestliner build boats anymore???
    The answer to that question is no. They have no independent factory anymore. All the welded vees are built by Lund. And all modvees by Lowe.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sayner View Post
    Crestliner Makes there own deep v boats. I believe the VT models are made in Mo, not 100% sure about the PT.s though. It would surprise me if Lowe built Lunds Renegade series since they aren't welded. But not sure on that either.

As to the OP's question, if you fish tournaments, the PT18 hands down. Bigger livewells and more storage. Plus jackplate and 2 Talons or Power Poles wont void your waranty.
    The Renegade being riveted is built at the Lund factory. If it is a modvee Crestliner its built at Lowe.