Vietnam vet article?

Reading about Vietnam war it mention that there were 534 E1 deaths and the average age was 20.23. What is E1 and what might his duties be? Thanks for your service and information.
    Red Sox in 6!

2. Member
    E1 = lowest military enlisted pay grade. Their duties.....the dirtiest of the the dirty jobs. A lot of USA/USMC were sent straight to the war zone from boot camp.
    By the grace of God, I got into the Navy and went to sea instead.

3. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I didn't know that. In the Army when you left basic training for AIT (advanced individual training, the job that you were going to do in the service) you were promoted to E-2. Then when we landed in Nam we were promoted to PFC E-3. The only way I would think of to be a Private E-1 in Nam, in the Army, would be because you got demoted from a higher rank.

Like jbh3 said, can't get any lower, so you would expect to pull lots of the crappy details for sure.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

4. Member
    Probably didn't live long enough to gain the knowledge to survive in combat.

5. Member
    We lost a lot of men and women in Vietnam. I lost a lot of friends also. In the military for enlisted personal it ranks from Pot. E-1 to Command Sergeant Major E-9. I remember it the way baseman81 explained it.

There were more U.S.M.C. E-1's serving in Vietnam and more Marine E-1's lost than in any other branch of service. In U.S.M.C. unless you were rewarded with a Meritorious promotion, then promotion was based on TIS. "Time in Service" = 6 months. There were many Marines in Vietnam that had not been in the service for 6 months! In reviewing my records, I was in a staging Battalion, waiting to be sent to Vietnam after 5 months of my enlistment!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    I didn't know that. In the Army when you left basic training for AIT (advanced individual training, the job that you were going to do in the service) you were promoted to E-2. Then when we landed in Nam we were promoted to PFC E-3. The only way I would think of to be a Private E-1 in Nam, in the Army, would be because you got demoted from a higher rank.

Like jbh3 said, can't get any lower, so you would expect to pull lots of the crappy details for sure.
    Does burning shitters rings a bell?????

8. Member
    Like Jarhead said, after "boot camp" you went to BITS (basic Infantry Trng) and then to your MOS school. Infantry guys went to RVN, except for a few that went to sea duty or barracks duty. Most guys I was with were Pvt's. Some Marines joined on the delayed entry program and usually picked up PFC about a month after graduation from boot camp, the time before they went to boot camp was used in their Time In Service for promotion. Also known a PEBD (pay entry base date).
    I was taught not to call anyone by their pay grade, but by their rank only. Calling a person by his pay grade is like telling him is a F*** UP or "chitbird".

And a lot of Pvt's were KIA within the first 90 days they were in country.

usmc03 out

9. Member
    Thanks for the knowledge.
    Red Sox in 6!

10. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc03 View Post
    Does burning shitters rings a bell?????
    That was my very first detail

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67