Catching suspended summer bass

Guys I have a pattern for summer bass at a high pressured lake that I can catch good stringers but its exhausting. There are a large number of trees on an inclined bank and whole hardwood trees are submerged in depths out to 50 ft or so. I can catch them throwing big deep diver cranks in those hardwood trees cause the bass suspend out in those trees and pick off shad as they swim by. I lose a lot of cranks doing this. Any thoughts on alternate methods to catch those fish?

2. Member
    Weedless rigged swimbait

3. Member
    Wackyjig do you like particular brand and style?

Sounds right, I have helped state biologists do electroshock fish surveys several times. Invariably the best place to find big bass in hot summer weather was big vertical tree tops on deep clay ledge banks where the main channel swung in along the bank. I would give heavy weedless swim jigs a try. You can literally yo-yo them up and over the limbs and let them sink again all thru a top. Use a boot tail or single curl grub as a trailer.

5. Member
    Yep gotta go with swimming a jig or last resort a spinnerbait

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swardrn View Post
    Wackyjig do you like particular brand and style?
    I like the big bite baits 5" suicide shad and if I want to go bigger I use a magdraft or magslowl with the harness taken out and an owner belly weighted hook. The 7" bbb swimbait is huge compared to the 5

7. Member
    Vertical jigging a spoon works in tree 70 deep on Table Rock.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swardrn View Post
    Guys I have a pattern for summer bass at a high pressured lake that I can catch good stringers but its exhausting. There are a large number of trees on an inclined bank and whole hardwood trees are submerged in depths out to 50 ft or so. I can catch them throwing big deep diver cranks in those hardwood trees cause the bass suspend out in those trees and pick off shad as they swim by. I lose a lot of cranks doing this. Any thoughts on alternate methods to catch those fish?
    Ever try to unsnag your deep diver crank with a plug knocker? Check out the youtube videos on using them and how to make your own with a snap swivel and heavy sinker.

9. Member
    Yea man I have a good plug knocker on a retractable dog leash it works great. I usually save 75% of them!!!!!

The picture is to give you a visual to get my point across, you'll want to go up in size and weight fishing as deep as you are ... Fit some in line single hooks on blade baits (this one is a Johnson ThinFisher, they make them up to 1/2 oz.) ... I kill them in the summer on these fishing them like cranks, it's insane at times. The thin body coupled with the in line single hooks will go through a lot more stuff than a trebled fat bodied bait. Think outside the box

Ranting incoherently

11. Dogfish_Jones
    I can't catch a suspended bass if my life depended on it. I think my only hope would be a spoon......but then again, it hasn't prove to be a good option either.