Ranger RT188 Owners - Any regrets on the speed?

I am looking at a Ranger RT188, coming out of a Champion 184 with a 175hp. Do you have any regrets only being able to top out between 45-50 mph?

2. Member
    Nope not at all. They don't come with brakes. Also love the fuel cost.

Some but after a few more years of enjoyment going 47 mph, I will move on to something else that will go at least 60 mph. Trolling motor down it is the best!
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

4. Member
    Had mine going on 4 years now.....never been a concern to me. If I tournament fished a lot, I might consider something faster, but this has everything I need in a bass boat here in Texas.....for now anyway.
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives

At this point in time no. The reason I bought it is still the same today. There is not a boat on the market with layout or design, or finish that I like better, including the 198. I am REALLY particular to the fiberglass cantilever consoles look. Granted, a pad hull and 55mph would be nice but it isn't worth trading and spending thousands for it only to have a layout or components, or design I don't actually like as well. I was wondering if the new Vexus models would change my mind but they are going to be powered about the same as the Rangers are. And it would not be worth the cost to me for the little extra gain from the Vexus. I have this rigged to really suit my needs, its very comfortable, easy, and economical to operate. 5-10 mph is not worth loosing that for.

I agree with everything Skeeter said... good post.

I have had the RT 188 longer than I have had a boat in a long time. As of now, I have owned it 4 1/2 years. I had fiberglass blisters twice on a boat and you cannot believe the hassle. So I went metal. I don't think they have a cure for the blisters problem yet from what I read and they won't warranty for them so that should tell you something.

But you asked about speed....I have never hit 50 GPS with the boat. I have hit 48-49 and that is fine with me. Do I wish it would do a little better? Yes, but not enough to get rid of the boat. If I buy another boat, it will have a 150 and be able to cruise at 45 or so without having the RPMs so high. The 115 is fine with the RT188 and I am not unhappy with it. But another boat with a 115 would not be worth the money to spend to do it and I don't want a 20 ft. boat to be able to get the 150.

I really liked the Vexus and it has a very strong transom support system. I would like Power Poles and an aluminum trailer if I swap boats. I would maybe trade the 188 for a Vexus 1880, but I think it would be a real dog with two power poles hanging off the transom and a full gas tank at 30 gallons and a full livewell, two men and gear. So I won't buy it. I came from glass and I believe you would be happy with the RT188. I had plenty of glass boats before, and have been real happy with the RT188. It is a well laid out, stable boat that fishes with the TM better than most boats. It is a "bird in the hand" thing and I know Ranger will be there 3 years from now.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

No issues with the speed. 47-48 mph vs 50 is not really noticeable. Also, this boat has a terrific layout and is an outstanding fishing machine with the trolling motor down....Have no regrets and would not trade it for a faster boat.....
    2016 Ranger RT188
    115 Yamaha SHO

"Well done is better than well said"- Benjamin Franklin

8. Member
    RT188, 4S merc 115, 21P laser prop, tops out at 39-40 MPH gps. Not sure why mine is different from others but not impressed with the speed. Everything else is great.

9. Banned
    I have had mine 1 year and I love it . This thing is great with troller down mine has seen 49 once but easily runs mid forties.
    Very well payed out. Don’t miss glass at all. If you like fishing shallow this is your boat.
    J D

10. Member
    Can't add anything to Skeeterbaits post.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

11. Member
    I miss the speed, but that's it. It's not even the top speed really, it's the fact that these little 115s have to turn pretty high rpms to cruise at 40-45mph, whereas in a glass boat, you are turning much lower rpms at that speed. The fact that you are asking the question makes me think you may regret it?
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by HarrisOK View Post
    RT188, 4S merc 115, 21P laser prop, tops out at 39-40 MPH gps. Not sure why mine is different from others but not impressed with the speed. Everything else is great.
    Definitely odd that your boat is so slow. I'm in Ontario this weekend with two guests so there are three of us in the boat (estimated weight of 625 lbs.), full tank of gas and full livewell and I still hit 41.2 mph today. And I run a 90 Optimax.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

That boat should easily run 47-50 mph,something wrong somewhere.

14. Member
    No regrets. We are in the middle of buying another house and starting a biz, thought about selling mine for some quick cash. But, not because I regret buying it. We decided to keep it for now. It’s paid for and has lived up to all my expectations.

15. Member
    No problem with the speed I get.
    115 merc 4stroke, 2 power poles on the back. I will max out at about 47GPS speed with just me in the boat.
    Hell in Ohio you run out of water to run fast at those speeds any way

16. Member
    What mounting hole on the transom did they use?

Here is some info that may help....file too big to attach (sorry).

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_g...tipstricks.pdf
    Last edited by KP1923; 06-24-2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Adding Link
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives

Quote Originally Posted by KP1923 View Post
    What mounting hole on the transom did they use?

Here is some info that may help....file too big to attach (sorry).

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_g...tipstricks.pdf
    Perfect illustration. That’s why I like the sport setting for boats with a built in setback. And flush to slightly above for straight transom boats.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

18. Member
    I haven't even ran mine at WOT yet.

I just run it up to 35 or so and cruise to where I'm going.

Unless I'm on Rayburn I will run out of lake before I know it running 30-35.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

It does have a great layout. Very stable. With the 4S Merc 115 I have seen 50-51(gps) a few times with a laser ll 20p. It’ll run 47-48 all day long. Fishes very well with tm down. I will have had mine 4 years next month. Plugs fixed the problem I had mentioned a few weeks ago.

2014 Ranger RT188
    115 Merc 4s, laser II 20p
    humminbirds