Thread: Spirituality

Spirituality

I seem to remember that there may have been a board discussing spirituality.

I have a faith and religion, but am focused on spirituality right now!

Do you mean being spiritual is your focus? Not sure what spirituality is.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Spirituality is the practice of your gaining a conscious contact with a higher power of your understanding. Prayer, meditation, living right.

So yes, you could say that is the focus.

Religion is a specific body and instrument that you attend. I have had and do have a religion that I have practiced much. But I was only going to church and the motions. In my opinion I had religion without spirituality.

Ok, all of this is strictly my opinion and view. I in no way am judging or pairing with one side. I love my God and respect others.

4. Member
    You did not state what church, faith or religion you follow...……..there are many.

If speaking about Christianity, To keep it simple...………………spirituality is this :

34Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”37Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’c 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’d 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

If you accomplish those two things...…………..your pretty spiritual :)​

I don't always accomplish them as often as I should...…………….Thankfully God is rich in Mercy and Grace.

"If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countyrookie View Post
    Spirituality is the practice of your gaining a conscious contact with a higher power of your understanding. Prayer, meditation, living right.

So yes, you could say that is the focus.

Religion is a specific body and instrument that you attend. I have had and do have a religion that I have practiced much. But I was only going to church and the motions. In my opinion I had religion without spirituality.

Ok, all of this is strictly my opinion and view. I in no way am judging or pairing with one side. I love my God and respect others.
    This ^^^… The religious killed Christ...Be Spiritual!!!

7. Member
    When you awake every morning start by turning the day over to God and seek to do his will in everything you do. If during the day you think / feel you've moved away ask Him again to guide you. He never leaves us, we leave Him.

8. Member
    The life of a Christian is one of daily repentance. (Repentance= contrition + faith)

King David wrote this (under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit) after he was confronted about adultery with Bathsheba (and murder of her husband Uriah):

Psalm 51: "Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight...Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me."

That's true spirituality. God called David (adulterer, murderer...believer) "A man after my own heart." There is indeed hope for us.

--"A broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise."

When you find yourself burdened by past sins (like David)--always, always flee to the cross and empty tomb. Your sins are removed as far as the east is from the west. Show your thanks to God by your actions.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 07-03-2018 at 09:45 AM.

9. Member
    Speaking of our actions, evangelism is nothing more than--"One beggar telling another beggar where to find bread."

"Had an interesting conversation with an individual tonight/this morning. I won't use their name or their story but what it boils down to is placing to much stock in others and not enough in Jesus. We are all horrible people capable of horrible things. What ever is good within us is directly from God. It doesn't matter if it's common grace called morality or a result of the Holy Spirit, all good within us comes from above. This never means we are flawless but rather it should ...mean a war rages between our depraved nature and our Spirit guided self. People who want to blame Christians as a reason why they do not "attend church" clearly doesn't understand this and it proves the focus is more on people and less on Jesus. It's impossible to grow as a child of God apart from the body, in fact people that detach themselves from a local body withers and dies spiritually"

Found that on a facebook post from one of my good friends, speaks very much to how I feel on this subject. We need to be spiritually focused on Christ, and for me that means being connected to other Christians who help me grow in faith. That connection has been and still is the church, the Bride of Christ. I need the church and the "religious" to help keep me spiritual. When I get out there on my own I am lost.

Ecclesiastes 4:10 For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!
    Last edited by sdbrison; 07-06-2018 at 11:28 AM.

11. Member
    Heb 10:25 "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another..."
    Not sure if that's a command or an invitation--either way.

They call it "Divine Service" or Church Service. God delights in serving us through His Word. We respond in worship/actions.

Are there hypocrites in church? Sure. I'll raise my hand. God has chosen these sinners to carry on His Word. What an honor. He doesn't need us to carry His Word--the very rocks would cry out if He so commanded.

12. Member
    Religion = Mankind attempting to get to God or please God on their own terms. (Self)

Christianity = God coming to mankind, mankind dying to self and pursuing Christ. (Denying Self)

13. Member
    God condescends to become man. (In this case condescension is a good thing). '...they will call him Immanuel--which means, "God with us.".' Matt 1:23b. God touched man and so became 'unclean'. Christ became sin. Our sin. We get His righteousness--pretty good deal.

Amac--Its been said (your last post) there's only two religions. Man lifts himself to God (pick the method / religion) or God lifts man. Only one has the latter. Only one has the concept of grace.