150 mercury f/s - 150 f/s pro xs

Ordering a new boat. Is there any good reason why i should have the new Pro XS fourstroke, instead of last year model 150 f/s.

Dealer recommened the Pro XS fourstroke.

Thanks in advance!

Might be a little faster, 1-2 mph, with the ProXS or have a little better hole shot. Otherwise, even if the other motor is brand new and never run as far as the eventual used market will be concerned it is one year older. That may have an affect on resale.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No such thing as "last year model" because Mercury does not use "years". The model built last year (150 Fourstroke) is still a current model in production.

That being said- as we discussed by phone earlier, you will want to go with the ProXS engine (hands-down).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    No such thing as "last year model" because Mercury does not use "years". The model built last year (150 Fourstroke) is still a current model in production.

That being said- as we discussed by phone earlier, you will want to go with the ProXS engine (hands-down).
    Thanks again! I posted it yesterday. When I didn't se a response last night, I decided to call you.

Thank You for you help! It's appreciated.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

But what's the real difference between the two?
    Is the difference great enough that one should wait until they are available?
    Or can the reg 4 stroke be retuned to a higher performance level close or equal to the ProXS?

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog619 View Post
    But what's the real difference between the two?
    Is the difference great enough that one should wait until they are available?
    Or can the reg 4 stroke be retuned to a higher performance level close or equal to the ProXS?
    I'd say pro XS regardless, but what kind of boat? The lower gearing will benefit holeshot, low water pickups will benefit water psi and the stiffer mounts will benefit handling/longevity as well as it has transient spark technology for a little more power and higher rpm limit.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really no comparison- if you're going to use it in a bass application, go with the ProXS version. Hands-down.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    I'd say pro XS regardless, but what kind of boat? The lower gearing will benefit holeshot, low water pickups will benefit water psi and the stiffer mounts will benefit handling/longevity as well as it has transient spark technology for a little more power and higher rpm limit.
    Vexus Alum 1980. They wont really give a solid delivery date if ordered with a ProXS, but with a reg 150 4s those are available. Can this reg 4s be retuned to perform closer to the 150 ProXS?

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog619 View Post
    Vexus Alum 1980. They wont really give a solid delivery date if ordered with a ProXS, but with a reg 150 4s those are available. Can this reg 4s be retuned to perform closer to the 150 ProXS?
    Simon Motorsports offers tuning that they claim is good for a 25hp increase on 93 octane and bumps the limiter like the Pro XS does, but I wouldn't do it till warranty expires. I'm not sure what a Vexus 1980 is expected to run top end with a 150 or how rough of water you fish, but I'll say from experience you're missing out on improvements with the Pro XS like the gearing and motor mounts. Ol' 2.7L 2-stroke Suzuki Bass 150 EFI had 2.08 gearing and was a rocket out of the hole.

10. Member
    I was at a boat dealer this weekend and heard the same thing..They no longer go by manufactured date...If a rig sits on the showroom floor 3 years,whatever the year it is sold will be what model year the boat will be...
    i have been looking for a 150 pro xs also...I like the higher rpms from 5800-6300 ,different gear ratio lower unit,beefier than predecessor,60 amp alternator basically same weight...made some calls to mercury dealers earlier in the week,but none have return my call with ETA or pricing so far....