Thread: More cranks

More cranks

Carved out some cranks for the BFL in Wabasha Mn this weekend. Unfortunately the tournament was cancelled. But I have em done. I'll spend some more time tuning all of them. The first of this body I carved performed well. Had a good wobble to it and every couple feet it would do this little shimmy out of the ordinary. I know it will get smoked by fish in some cover. Getting a handle on the air brush finally. Took some playing around but makes sense. Figured out how to use my.vinyl cutter to make stencils out of manilla folders. Already got the wheels turning on what else I can build.

58623.jpg

I prefer clear stencil material so you can see where you are holding it.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Looks good! I second Mike's clear stencil material suggestion.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

What material are you guys using? I went the route I did cause it was quickly available to me. I'm sure I can get my blade to cut through what your talking about as well.

I ordered a sheet of PETG plastic .020" thick from an online vendor. I vacuum form the stencil then cut the shape I want.
    Brad Whitaker

I get mine from Hobby Lobby... Something like these...

https://www.hobbylobby.com/search/?text=clear+sheets

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    If you don't need stencils to be vaccum formed to a crankbait model,I use heavy duty folders and cut my own out or save plastic milk/lemonade/juice bottles to reuse them. Also for scale patterns, buying a loofah for like 50 to 99 cents works great and lasts super long!

Yeah I've been looking at building the deal to do the vaccume stencils. Just not big on the idea of producing a body just to cut it in half and make a left right lol

It really matters how many you think you will paint. You don't have to split a bait to make your stencils. If you buy a light weight foam half the thickness of the bait you can cut out the profile of your bait and place the bait in the profile. Then create the stencil for half the bait. Flip over the foam and the bait and do the other half.
    Brad Whitaker

Quote Originally Posted by Whitaker201 View Post
    It really matters how many you think you will paint. You don't have to split a bait to make your stencils. If you buy a light weight foam half the thickness of the bait you can cut out the profile of your bait and place the bait in the profile. Then create the stencil for half the bait. Flip over the foam and the bait and do the other half.

hmm interesting. I may just have to give that a shot!