2017 Merc Pro XS Command Thrust 115 4-stroke question???

I just bought a 2017 Nitro with a 115 Command Thrust motor. I have had the Merc 150 4-stroke in the past, so pardon my question if it's stupid!

I asume the boost of of thrust I feel in my hole shot is the "command thrust" kicking in? About 2 seconds after I put the throttle down, the motor has a boost of speed and the boat gets on plane quickly. No one at the dealer told me how this works, so I'm making sure this right. It's a surprise every time I have a hole shot.

Thank you in advance. Great motor by the way.
    Andrew in KC

2017 Nitro Z17 - 115 Mercury Four Stroke Command Thrust

Garmin Echomap Plus 93SV UHD at Console / 2 Garmin Echomap Plus 93SV at Bow with Livescope

Heart Transplant Recipient - March 30, 2017! God bless my donor, and donor family!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sticky: SERIAL NUMBERS REQUIRED WHEN POSTING.

No- that's not "command thrust"... it's just a lot of thrust.

What you are feeling is the engine spooling up to RPM, prop biting, and then the TORQUE of your new 4-stroke launching your boat up out of the water.

The "Command Thrust" Engine utilizes a larger-bore (and different gear ratio), allowing you to spin larger, more-efficient propellers, and providing you with an increased range of options in setup/propping.

Very useful for larger/heavier boats.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Could you quantify 'larger/heavier' for the command thrust?
    (For me specifically, a 17' bass boat at 1100# ).

Thanks.
    Last edited by RangerRic; 06-24-2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRic View Post
    Could you quantify 'larger/heavier' for the command thrust?
    (For me specifically, a 17' bass boat at 1100# ).

Thanks.
    If I were selling you an engine for this rig, I would STRONGLY encourage the Command Thrust Version, specifically because it's gear ratio would permit a much wider array of props that are well suited to bass-boats.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Banned
    2:38 to 1 ratio plus it has larger lower unit the same as v6 and same diameter prop

6. Member
    Does this just give you a better hole shot or does it help with top speed?
    Does it help maintain a good hole shot with extra weight in the boat? more bodies and tackle?
    Will a Jack plate make any improve with this set up?
    This is my issue in deciding on the Vexus 1880 w/115 ct or the 1980 w/150

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, Potentially yes, Yes, Yes, Potentially yes, and your decision.

Hope that helps!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If I were selling you an engine for this rig, I would STRONGLY encourage the Command Thrust Version, specifically because it's gear ratio would permit a much wider array of props that are well suited to bass-boats.
    Sorry so late to say thanks !! I may be repowering sooner rather than later and was not
    considering the CT option.

9. Member
    Don:
    Just bought the CT 115 per your recommendation. Running a 21 aluminum on it, getting
    over 6000 rpm's without pushing it. Any SS prop suggestions for my R70?

10. Member
    The prop that was supposed to go with my engine originally was the Tempest 14 5/8 x 22. The dealer accidentally put on the prop for the non-command thrust motor. They have ordered the correct prop for me. It’s going on a X17. 17 1/2 foot boat.
    Andrew in KC

Garmin Echomap Plus 93SV UHD at Console / 2 Garmin Echomap Plus 93SV at Bow with Livescope

Heart Transplant Recipient - March 30, 2017! God bless my donor, and donor family!

11. Member
    Will check the Tempest - thanks.
    (good luck to you ...)

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    22P is a good starting point.

13. Member
    That is what Ranger recommended to me, as well.

14. Member
    Prop update...

The dealer finally received and installed the Tempest 22 on my motor (115 HP CT).

It is awesome. Quick hole shot and got up to 50 mpg at 6000 rpm. Motor is rated up to 6300. Switching from the other prop also stopped that weird burst of power during the hole shot.

Im just happy they recognized their mistake and ordered me the correct prop! The 115hp is a beast, and sips the gas.
    Andrew in KC

15. Member