Transducers for Helix 9 Mega DI (not SI)

My partner just bought 2 new Helix 9 Mega G2N units. They have DI but not side imaging.

They came with XM 9 MDI T transducers. Can he epoxy one in the hull? I have never deal with mega before.

And then can we just mount the other to the bottom of his Ultrex?

I don't have the units here in front of me. Thanks for the help.

Imaging does not work well for shoot-thru due to the high frequency-- probably not at all with the 1200 kHz.

The 2D is a single frequency range of 140-240 kHz. That may do OK for shoot-thru but there is no 2D-only Dual Spectrum transducer that matches the 2D of the MEGA DI transducer or the Dual Spectrum MEGA SI transducer.
    Using two XM 9 MDI T transducers with a 9 M SIDB Y cable would be a workable installation I would think. One on the transom and one for shoot-thru.

No you do not want to attach the transom MEGA DI transducer to the trolling motor. That should be the trolling motor PUCK version XTM 9 MDI T. It has extra internal shielding for that application.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks for being such a steady source of info Wayne. One other question. Why would you need to mount a transducer inside and one outside? Couldn’t you just use the outside one? If worried about knocking off the outside one, having one out there regardless makes it seem pointless to put one inside too.

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Thanks for being such a steady source of info Wayne. One other question. Why would you need to mount a transducer inside and one outside? Couldn’t you just use the outside one? If worried about knocking off the outside one, having one out there regardless makes it seem pointless to put one inside too.
    I answered concerning your inquiry about an in-hull mounting.
    Using two, you would attach the transom one above the bottom of the hull to protect it from possible impact damage the same as a lot of SI units are installed (jackplate being the most popular).

Certainly you can just use the included transducer on the transom if you can get satisfactory high speed performance. It is smaller than a SI transducer and easier to get high speed performance.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL