Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PROJECT - new Birds and Ultrex

If y'all care to look. Here's a link to some photos of my install. Thanks to Reggie for squaring me away on the Lowrance cabling due to me removing my bow unit.

Rather than type out a story, at the bottom of each photo is an explanation of what / how I did this mess. I'll be happy to answer any questions later if you ever decide to do something similar, and then persuade you to farm this job out.

Y'all know working on a boat requires you to be bent over double and twisted no matter what yer doing. A job for a spider monkey.
    Took me a long time due to my health woes, but we gotter done.

Enjoy. I'm goin fishin, later, Cork

For you short bus fellers, you should view them in order from the top left photo.
    for some reason the first photo is jacked up. If you go to the next one and then back up to the first one, it will show properly.

https://corkpuller.shutterfly.com/pictures

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

2. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    Damn fine job, Troy

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Mighty fine craftsmanship there, Cork!! Now I trust you understand all that networking black magic you just created??

4. Member
    Looks like a fine job! Now you get to apply the learning curve to all of those fine electronics. You know if all of the electronic manufactures would come together and come up with some universal mounts it sure would help in doing some swapping. I just spent a day last month to mount a Dragonfly 6 unit, 2nd trip out it quit working, sent it back to get it looked at to Raymarine and they could not do anything with it so they called and said they would send me a Dragonfly 5 Pro with the Blue Tooth so I said sure, nothing worked from the 5 series to the 6 series, different mount on the head unit and then they sent a different transducer and the mount pattern never worked either, you would think they would be smart enough to use a universal mount pattern on stuff. I did a few trips for supplies on mine, I ended up buying & cutting a white plastic cutting board into several pieces for my head mount. Got use what you have! Good job Cork!
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

Nice job Cork. That install would have not been near as good as you did if you would have farmed it out.
    Bernard
    2012 Pheonix 921 - Yamaha 250 SHO

Very nice Cork, I'll be install a new 12" Helix myself very soon.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berger1b View Post
    Nice job Cork. That install would have not been near as good as you did if you would have farmed it out.
    This

8. Member
    Looks damn good. Very clean battery compartment, btw.

Way more patience that I have. Great install and great step by step documentation.. You are quite the craftsman Corkster!!!!

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TX Strampion View Post
    Looks damn good. Very clean battery compartment, btw.

I always look for this when buying a used boat. Battery compartment clean..... boat has been well taken care of. Works EVERY time.

Looks Good!!

Hey Cork did you wire that fuse panel straight to your battery or to a switch then to the battery? I need to redo mine. I something similar using a fuse panel. When I crank the motor my graphs blink.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by KutTail71 View Post
    Hey Cork did you wire that fuse panel straight to your battery or to a switch then to the battery? I need to redo mine. I something similar using a fuse panel. When I crank the motor my graphs blink.
    I ran #8AWG, twisted pair from cranking batt to a 25A breaker then to the fuse block.
    From the fuse block to the helm unit, I used the supplied Humminbird power cable since it was a short run, but I did cut that cable shorter than what was supplied.

From the fuse block to the terminal block in the bow area, I ran #12AWG, twisted pair.

I used this particular wire(twisted pair) to try and eliminate any RFI / interference. It’s some bad ass wire and is actually marketed as Marine grade speaker wire.

It was a booger to strip and terminate. I would not recommend it to anyone that doesn’t have a lot of experience in stripping wire.

Any more info you need let me know Eddie.

Thanks to the rest of you fellers for the kind words

Thanks Troy! Course I have these projects when it's freakin hot out lol
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    Mighty fine work brother. Did that wire help with TM interference? I’m fighting that up front with mine. It’s a hard battle to win.

No interference at all with 2D, but did notice some troll motor interference on my DI screen only, but only at times.

There seemed to be some interference here with my jigging spoon >>>>>>

Optimized-IMG_0754.jpg

Optimized-IMG_0755.jpg

18. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The 150-200 KHz in the lower left of the display indicates 2D mode. Don't think I'd call that interference ... more like seeing your spoon on the display. The squiggly arches look like they may be due to the wave action? Only possible interference with the jigging spoon would probably be by the fish ...

It was a joke Reg...

fish were grouped up in the general area from some being on bottom to other groups suspended. After being there for about 30 minutes I determined they were just roaming around staying near big ass schools of shad. Didn't get a pic of the shad but most were not in the typical "circle". They were at about 14-16' in a 3/4" line all across the entire screen!

20. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    It was a joke Reg...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast