Question Battery and Graph Question

Pretty sure I already know the answer but I'll ask this anyway.

Recently, like the last two trips to the water, the front graph keeps shutting down when I start the big engine. Wasn't sure at first what was going on. So, I took a look at the Icon gauge yesterday when I started the engine. The volts dropped to 11.8 on the start but quickly ran up to 12.8 while running the engine.

The graphs are Hummingbird Helix's, the engine is G2 250 and the battery is a 3 year old series 31 X2 power. Battery was fully charged yesterday before hitting the water. The front graph immediately shut down on the first try.

My suspicion is that the battery is low on amperage and volts now that it is getting older and the Helix graphs draw more juice. Never did this before so I have to assume it is battery related.

What say you folks here?

2. Member
    That would be my guess or dirty terminals, but get it checked. That is still under warranty I believe.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Yep, sounds like battery related. We’ve actually heard this a lot, but seldom with an Evinrude engine. They don’t seem to draw as much when cranking. Lowrances also are not as voltage sensitive as Birds, but it is what it is! Batteries are cheaper than graphs....
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Yep, sounds like battery related. We’ve actually heard this a lot, but seldom with an Evinrude engine. They don’t seem to draw as much when cranking. Lowrances also are not as voltage sensitive as Birds, but it is what it is! Batteries are cheaper than graphs....
    Well them X2’s ain’t none too cheap, but yes they are less than graphs. Good news is the battery is covered. I’ll be pulling it out next week and taking it in for an exchange.

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I also had this problem and was told to run dedicated wires to the front, just for the unit that solved my problem . Not usre this pertains to your but might be worth a look ok
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

6. Banned
    You should get more than 12.8 when the engine is running. I suspect a bad battery.

7. mikesxpress
    Get a carbon pile load test done on the battery 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Get a carbon pile load test done on the battery 1st.
    What is that?
    2003 Ranger 521VX
    2003 Mercury 250XS S# 0T652530

9. mikesxpress
    Autozone or any reputable parts store will test the battery for free using a carbon pile load tester. The battery must be fully charged and in a marine application it's best to have everything removed from the terminals. This is the only way to properly test a battery.

10. Member
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

11. mikesxpress
    I have my own personal CP load tester and a good one that will test flooded cell & AGM batteries is expensive. Mine was $500.00 years back. I have allot of gear that has batteries so it made sense for me. Most folks occasional need is better served by the store checking it for free.

12. Member
    I had some issues with low voltage also; ended up being the battery selector switch. I took the switch apart and was disappointed with the switch contacts. It certainly would be nice to see a heavier duty switch installed. I think it would solve a lot of the low-voltage issues guys are having.
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

Well folks, I took the battery back yesterday. I received a brand new one under warranty. Store in Springfield, MA was great to deal with.

Brought the new battery home and got it reinstalled. No more issues with the front graph shutting down when I start the big engine.

I do believe though that I will be looking into running a dedicated line from the front graph to the battery.

14. mikesxpress
    Michael they checked the battery? Results?

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Trooper View Post
    Well folks, I took the battery back yesterday. I received a brand new one under warranty. Store in Springfield, MA was great to deal with.

Brought the new battery home and got it reinstalled. No more issues with the front graph shutting down when I start the big engine.

I do believe though that I will be looking into running a dedicated line from the front graph to the battery.
    A good idea, especially if only the front graph was shutting down but not the one at the console.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Michael they checked the battery? Results?
    They did not. He took it in and gave me a new one out the door. He said he was going to though but it would take 24 hours.

17. Member
    My 18 has wires run for "clean power" to both the dash and bow; I assume for this very issue.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.