Question I need a stainless steel prop, but which one??

I bent 2 blades on my this my 3rd aluminum prop and will be changing to a stainless so I can tear something else up Any way I have a 2000, Merc 90 hp and am running a 21 pitch aluminum Mercury prop. The motor is on a 2000 BasStream Hydra Bass 1700. The boat is light and jumps up on plane really fast. It tops out at 43 mph at 5200 rpms regardless of the load that's in the boat. Full fuel tank, full live well, one or two people, it seems to run the same no matter what. I don't have a jack plate. The motor is actually supposed to turn 5500 rpms too.

My question is this....Do I go with a 21P stainless prop or do I need to change to a different pitch when going from aluminum to SS?

I would (and have) asked this question in the prop form but all the cool kids hang out here.
    Hi Mike.

2. Member
    Do not know enough to really help but will at least give you a place to start. Go to Mercury prop selector and enter your engine specifics, it will then give you the various recommendations for your engine.

Remember that SS will not give like an Aluminum prop will...so consider cost of prop repair vs LU damage..seems you have alot of hard water (rocks) where you run.
    Www.thkustoms.com

"Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!"-Theodore Roosevelt
    USN 2002-2008
    NAS Whidbey Island
    USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by polywad6963 View Post
    Remember that SS will not give like an Aluminum prop will...so consider cost of prop repair vs LU damage..seems you have alot of hard water (rocks) where you run.
    I will answer for him. No,he has a lotttt of stumps! Ross Barnett and oxbow lakes have lot of shallow water. Any rock there is put there by man. But we do have rocks up here on the north end. And lots of um.

The advice I received when I first got my first boat and was wanting to "upgrade" my prop to SS was to base it on the water I normally run. If I was running in rivers and places with lots of stumps etc., I should consider staying with Aluminum because it may save me from having to repair my LU. I decided to go ahead and switch to SS and to be honest, never did see much of a difference in performance, RPM's, Handling, etc. Hind sight being 20/20, I think I should have saved my $500. In your case, if you decide to switch, use a prop pitch calculator 1st and compare to your current prop numbers. It seems like you're RPM's are a little low which means you may be putting stress on the motor. Your best resource would be the prop forum, a few guys on there had some good advice for sure.

6. Member
    Sometimes the tach gives faulty readings.

7. Member
    You'll probably want to go down to a 19p or 20p stainless prop. Stainless typically turns less RPM (because it won't flex like aluminum)and you can still go up 300 rpm to get to your max.

8. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    For RBR?

Who controls John Gill?

Maybe go this route ??

10. Member
    With a 90 hp, I don’t think you want more than a 19 pitch stainless.

Look on the boards here and Ebay for a good used prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    With a 90 hp, I don’t think you want more than a 19 pitch stainless.

Look on the boards here and Ebay for a good used prop.
    Friend of mine had a 90 hp Merc on a glass bass boat. Came with a 21P SS from the factory

12. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    With all those stumps I'd stick with aluminum and just be careful.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

Best choices for SS props for smaller outboards>>> https://www.turbo-props.com/

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

14. Member
    Great advice guys I do appreciate it!!

I didn't mention this but at WOT any little wave, ripple, change in direction, chop on the water causes cavitation, enough to burn the black paint off in thin stripes across the blades. Can that alone weaken an aluminum prop blade? I trim down and or back off the throttle as fast as I can when I know I'm about to encounter a wave or turn to prevent it from doing that but sometimes I'm not fast enough.

No rocks in Barnett or the oxbow lakes I fish but stumps are aplenty. Every time I've damaged a prop though was dead center of the river channel. I make sure I am well away from the bank before taking off. I often think that I may be hitting a big snapping turtle of one of the 6 foot long alligator gars or an alligator. Last Sunday I saw a snapping turtle that was at least 20 inches across his shell and his head was as big around as a baseball. That will damage a prop quick.

Thanks for the info guys!!
    Hi Mike.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatrazor View Post

Maybe go this route ??
    There are plenty of those noisy things running around Barnett All noise and no go. Sounds like they are going 90 mph and are just putting along lol.
    Hi Mike.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    There are plenty of those noisy things running around Barnett All noise and no go. Sounds like they are going 90 mph and are just putting along lol.
    I never knew Harley made a outboard??!! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.