Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What’s your opinion on Mercury’s outboards?

I’ve been renting boats from the marina for the past year. After countless money spent, renting boats that are in horrible condition, having to wait for the staff at the marina I’m so over it so decided to look at new/used boats. This potentially could be my first boat so I’d like your input before fully committing. I’m a weekend warrior, with summer coming I’d like to use the boat for fishing/tubing. My budget is around $20k so I’m looking at trackers v16 or V175. What are your thoughts on mercury outboards? I’ve read horrible reviews online from consumer report but I’m trying not to believe everything everyone says so looking at second opinions. I’m looking at Mercury’s 4 stroke 60 all the way up to 115 hp. Hate to commit to only have problems 20 or 40 hours after purchasing.

You shouldn't have an issue, think of rental boats getting taken by people who don't know how to boat and jacking them up mean while the marinas don't want to spend money and time in the shop because they won't be renting the boat out.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    You have a solid point. Also, I’d like to include I don’t need anything fancy with a big motor. I have another hobby that does that but would like something I can cruise around and enjoy the lake that can comfortably fit 4 or 5 people. Majority of the year I’ll be using it on solo trips while summer I’ll be using it for fishing and taking friends and family on the lake.

I’ll have to talk to Tracker to see if their warranty is transferable to the second owner if I decide used but if not then I have to consider buying new for a lower model.

I’m currently fishing skinner lake every weekend and dvl every once in awhile.

4. Banned
    All I've every owned. Currently own a 2013 250 Pro XS, it has just under 190 hours, a 2017 115 4 stroke, it has just under 120 hours and a 1985 3.5 hp, hours unknown. Never had a lick of trouble from any past or present. Just make sure they've received proper maintenance... That goes for any brand you buy... Dan

5. Member
    I'm going to as what might be a silly question. how about a nice 18-20 foot used pontoon? You can get one with enough engine to scoot and drop a trolling motor and she will fish. You are not looking for tournament fishing?

As or engines we all have our personal choice and any brand 2014 or newer well maintained engine is good. The trick is well maintained....
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

If you want to comfortably (and legal) carry more that 4 people you'll need a boat bigger than a PT175. It only holds four and there would be nothing comfortable about it. For $20k you can get a much larger used boat in great condition. Also, if you want to tube you'll want more that 60HP. We did it in my PT175 with a 60 and while it worked, it was not optimal. I could not pull it fast enough to get all the slack out of the rope so it was constantly throwing spray on the tubers so they couldn't see anything.

As far as Mercurys go, you'll get responses that they are garbage. And you get responses that its all some guys would own. You'll also get the same responses about every other brand of outboard. While some older models may have been problematic, and I'm talking near 20 years old, anything on a boat in your $20k should be considered and reliable motor as long as it has been well taken care or.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickyrick View Post
    I'm going to as what might be a silly question. how about a nice 18-20 foot used pontoon? You can get one with enough engine to scoot and drop a trolling motor and she will fish. You are not looking for tournament fishing?

As or engines we all have our personal choice and any brand 2014 or newer well maintained engine is good. The trick is well maintained....
    I’d love to purchase a tournament boat since most of the year I’m fishing by myself but considering a bigger boat just incase family and friends would like to join. I did consider a pontoon but it goes back to fishing alone, too much boat for an individual(at least for me) but definitely keeping my options open.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    If you want to comfortably (and legal) carry more that 4 people you'll need a boat bigger than a PT175. It only holds four and there would be nothing comfortable about it. For $20k you can get a much larger used boat in great condition. Also, if you want to tube you'll want more that 60HP. We did it in my PT175 with a 60 and while it worked, it was not optimal. I could not pull it fast enough to get all the slack out of the rope so it was constantly throwing spray on the tubers so they couldn't see anything.

As far as Mercurys go, you'll get responses that they are garbage. And you get responses that its all some guys would own. You'll also get the same responses about every other brand of outboard. While some older models may have been problematic, and I'm talking near 20 years old, anything on a boat in your $20k should be considered and reliable motor as long as it has been well taken care or.
    I was considering the deep V hull either in the v16 or v175. I did look at the PT175 at bass pro but for me the max would be 3 people in that boat.

9. Member
    For being a noob this community seems awesome looking at the response I’m getting. It’s encouraging and positive vs other car/truck forums I’ve been on.

Quote Originally Posted by Procharged392 View Post
    I was considering the deep V hull either in the v16 or v175. I did look at the PT175 at bass pro but for me the max would be 3 people in that boat.
    Ah, sorry. I saw 175 and just assumed PT175. I never look at deep V boats so I’m not up on their naming.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Just guessing from your comments above you like power (Procharger as well as a reference to your other hobby). Also, as others have pointed out, a Tracker is a small boat that won't be comfortable for more than about 3 people, and against regulations for over 4. With your budget, I agree with the above comments that suggest looking at a used tournament rig. I solo fish 90% of the time, and do so quite comfortably out of a 20 Foot tournament bass boat. I can go everywhere the smaller tin bass rigs go. In this class of boat, you might find a Fish and Ski, which is a bass boat hull with a layout that accommodates more seating for cruising and taller gunwales, best suited for your intended uses. In a boat this size you could get one of the larger V6 outboards, and have a little fun as well. If you like speed on the road, ride with someone who has a bass boat that will run 70+ miles an hours and you'll want nothing else. Good luck on the purchase, and take your time so you get exactly what you want. Finally, I've owned Mercury outboards for 20 years, and absolutely love their power and reliability, but they are all well made these days so don't worry so much about brand of motor as condition and hours of use.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

12. Member
    Here’s what I’m eying...

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/fe....cfm?boat=3933

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/fe....cfm?boat=3930

So these are not suitable for 4-5 people?

13. Member
    Youll find alot more problems with mercury because they sell alot more motors..

14. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Might want to price those boats with motors that meet their max HP rating. They seem to be a little under powered.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

15. Member
    ^^^^ This. Number one complaint I hear from people weeks/months/years after they buy is "They should have gotten a bigger motor". My recommendation, always try to max out the HP rating on the boat, up to 250 if you do a lot of tournament trail stuff due to rules.

As for well maintained. On a used rig yes, but also make sure it's been used. Probably 90% of problems we see are rigs that are never used. Fuel issues being #1, the wiring, and on and on it goes. Now, not saying a boat that's used doesn't have issues from time to time, but nothing compared to the ones that only see 10 hours of use a year.

__________________________________________________ ____
    The wife said \"Buy a new boat, you\'ll catch more fish\". Mines broken!

16. Member
    If your looking to cruise around don't buy a bass boat. They go idle and full speed and not that good in the in between. The fish great but so would a ranger Renata or Lund.. more of a fish and ski or walleye boat.

17. Member
    everyone's motors are great until they are not!!!!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I own 2 Mercurys at this time. 1 on my bass boat and 1 on my pontoon boat. I've owned Mercurys for 45 years. All engines have problems every now and then. I'd look at a Suzuki, there are more and more showing up on the lake I live.

19. Member
    I agree with the suggestion of a walleye boat to meet your requirements. As for the engine brand. Make sure you have a local mechanic that can support whatever brand you buy. As mentioned they all make a good product. It all depends upon how it was cared for. A good mechanic will help you evaluate that.

20. Member
    Thanks for everyone’s advice!

I’m going to check out a few boats this weekend and price them out. Here’s one I'm highly interested in, 18 foot 2017 with a Merc 115 that has about 15 hours and is under $20k.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast