Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    The Merc 115 4 Stroke is proving to be one of their best. My 2017 trim has leaked down sitting overnight since I got it, no biggie. I’ll take it in and get that fixed one of these days. It works fine on the water, no other issues in the 52 hours or so I’ve run it. DIY maintence is real easy.

The 40-60 HP Mercs are made in China. I don’t hear many complaints on them, I just try not to send money there when I can help it. I think their 30 HP and less are Tohatsu from Japan. The rest are made here.

2. Member
    All manufacturers make a reasonably decent freshwater motor these days.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    If you want to comfortably (and legal) carry more that 4 people you'll need a boat bigger than a PT175. It only holds four and there would be nothing comfortable about it. For $20k you can get a much larger used boat in great condition. Also, if you want to tube you'll want more that 60HP. ...........................................

As far as Mercurys go, you'll get responses that they are garbage. And you get responses that its all some guys would own. You'll also get the same responses about every other brand of outboard. ..................................
    I agree with the above. If you buy a boat do you have a place to securely and safely store it? Do you have the knowledge to do basic maintenance on it? Tin boats are generally used by folks to fish or cruise more placid waters, and they are just generally not comfortable. I'll take the hits from tin boat people, but I owned 4 or so, and they were pretty basic.

4. Member
    Check out the glass fish and ski boats. I have a stratos 486SF and love it. the best of both worlds.

5. Banned
    Look up a Charger multi species SUV you can thank me later.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter250 View Post
    Check out the glass fish and ski boats. I have a stratos 486SF and love it. the best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Look up a Charger multi species SUV you can thank me later.
    Diing a quick search before work and I’m impressed. I’d have to see if there’s anything used locally within my budget. Looks like charger boat is located in the Midwest and can’t find any dealers in California for Stratos.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Procharged392 View Post
    Thanks for everyone’s advice!

I’m going to check out a few boats this weekend and price them out. Here’s one I'm highly interested in, 18 foot 2017 with a Merc 115 that has about 15 hours and is under $20k.

That looks like a good boat, it has some creature amenities and a trailer that is understressed for the boat and should tow well. Good luck bargaining if you are interested. That's practically a new boat, it should be on the NADA list.

8. Member
    Take a look at the Triton Allure.

9. Banned
    Diing a quick search before work and I’m impressed. I’d have to see if there’s anything used locally within my budget. Looks like charger boat is located in the Midwest and can’t find any dealers in California for Stratos.
    Charger has a dealer locator on their website

10. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I agree with the above. If you buy a boat do you have a place to securely and safely store it? Do you have the knowledge to do basic maintenance on it? Tin boats are generally used by folks to fish or cruise more placid waters, and they are just generally not comfortable. I'll take the hits from tin boat people, but I owned 4 or so, and they were pretty basic.
    The tin rigs that are decked out nice are every bit as comfortable as a glass rig. Just have to stay away from the ones with a hull that's basically a glorified jon boat. The tin hulls with a more pronounced keel (or deep v like the OP is looking at) ride pretty nice for what they are. Not as good as a glass rig most of the time but still not bad at all.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

11. Member
    Need your opinion fellas...seller is asking $16k, what do you guys think?

2006 Stratos Fish & Ski
    Excellent condition.
    Upgraded Mercury 225 optimax Outboard with low miles

length 20'5"
    length (w/ Retrac. Tongue Down) 22'8"
    Beam: 95"
    Hull Weight: 1850
    Max Weight Capacity: 1400 lbs.
    Max HP: 225
    Fuel Capacity: 46 Gal.

Features: Front & Rear casting platforms, aerated livewell, rod storage, Minn Kota trolling motor, ski locker, walk thru windshield, convertible top, boarding ladder.

12. Member
    What happen with the 175 tracker you posted above?
    Multi species are great family rigs and that boat would push 40. Way safer in big water than a 20’ bass boat

stratos looks nice, fair price. Most of the optimax problem seemed fixed by then. Would have the motor hooked up to a computer to check hours and codes.

13. Member
    https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...624322213.html

no idea what part of Cali you are in but that’s a smoking deal

14. Member
    I've own my 2004 Mercury 200 EFI since 2012 and never a problem except for a thermostat or poppet valve that have gone bad.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...624322213.html

no idea what part of Cali you are in but that’s a smoking deal
    Thank you! Just emailed the seller, he’s not too far.

16. Member
    I’ll be stopping by to check the boat out shortly. Seller states it has an estimated 150 hrs on the outboard.

17. Member
    Everything checks out ok for the exception of the hull. I’m not sure if it’s something to be concerned about but I provided a picture, hard to tell but looks like multiple tiny outward creases throughout both side of the hull. Is this normal?

18. Member
    I forgot to include it’s been in salt water 3-4 times if that matters

19. Member
    Everything checks out ok for the exception of the hull. I’m not sure if it’s something to be concerned about but I provided a picture, hard to tell but looks like multiple tiny outward creases throughout both side of the hull. Is this normal?

looks like interior weld marks. most aluminum boats have them. My old g3 had then everywhere.
    2017 x19 175 sho

20. Member
    It doesn’t appear to be stress cracks and just like your g3, they’re everywhere. Silly question but should I be concerned? I’m inexperienced but in my head I thought it could be from rough waters, hull making impact and sandwiching causing to crease under weight but what boggles my mind is that the crease are not indented, they’re coming out so like you stated it’s possible it’s from the welds. I wish I really knew more people but all I got is you guys so any opinions will be considered. I made him an offer which he accepted but gave me a few days to finalize my decision.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast