Thread: SCOTUS Ruling

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboy1 View Post
    Okay, so that's the equivalent to the little fairies getting it to the resellers warehouse. It still doesn't do anything for the $18 shipping vs. 10 boxes at $9 each.

I've already said I'd be fine with origin based tax. You buy from me, pay Ga 7% tax. I buy from a TN retailer, I pay their 9.something %.

My issue is having to file in 50 states every month, every quarter, etc. Let's pretend it's quarterly. Let's also pretend it's only 15 minutes per to file, even though any business owner knows that's unreasonable.

That's 50 hours of time that I have to find to file all that paperwork each year. I have to lose a week of productivity. Where do I find that time?

The reality is, there's a lot more to it than that 15 minutes to file. I'll have to change my bookkeeping to separate out the sales for each state, I'll have to spend time applying for a new states tax paperwork.

Big companies have entire departments to just deal with paperwork like this. I have to deal with that paperwork in between making your items (custom fab company), packaging and shipping your item, making sales, responding to customer inquiries, ordering material, fussing at vendors that short shipped my material orders, etc, etc.

It's strictly a paperwork issue - I'm not going to lose sales because of that 7%. I may lose sales due to not having time to fulfill orders.
    So the brick and mortar mom and pop store doesn't have costs and hassle associated with sales tax collection and distribution? Ever had a sales tax aduit from state tax collectors? Where you stand as always, depends on where you sit.

2. Member

I have no problem with a level playing field as far as taxes collected on a purchase from a brick and mortar store vs. an online source. I rarely base where I buy an item from on whether they're going to charge sales tax, or not. There's always a better deal to be had if you research an item thoroughly enough.
    My bitch would be more with the increase in shipping costs over the past couple of years. And the fact that more and more UPS and FEDEX items are being handed off to the USPS for SmartPost delivery. There's nothing "Smart" (or Quick) about SmartPost. USPS should rename it "You'll Get When You Get It". Although, I will admit some items I've ordered from Amazon Prime Two-Day shipping have been delivered on Sunday by USPS. They were actually on time. Kind of spooky.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    It will be impossible for some that sell small items all over the country to do sales tax reports. There are different tax rates in the same zip codes, counties, cities etc. It will give the govt. a paper trail to follow to basically every sale in the country. That is the scary part.

5. Member
    I don't know how it is everywhere but in Alabama you must declare your sales tax liability for untaxed items bought from an out of state vendor on your taxes. So your burden will not change. The only thing that changed is putting the burden on the vendor to collect it.

Why not have the retailer in X state pay sales tax according to their home state. Why would you have to pay sales tax to the state of the buyer? That's stupid. If I drive to Texas and buy something, I pay sales tax to Texas, I don't come back and pay sales tax to Oklahoma.

A state should only be able to collect sales tax from online retailers that reside in their state, no matter where the customer lives. They are over-complicating it, like .gov usually does. They are soooo worried they are gonna miss out on a dime. Greedy bastards.

7. Member
    Looks like the threshold that S Dakota uses would be fair. If I understand what is being considered each state would set a threshold. Not sure how you could pre determine which state threshold you will surpass before collecting the tax revenue. For example SDakota has a 200 transaction threshold. If you transact 150 sales there what do you do with the tax you collect on them if it falls below the threshold?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345