Duplicate waypoints / unlike icons

I have marked 2 waypoints and 1 track on my Helix 12 G2N just to practice and play with.

Yesterday I made the track and within 2 minutes of completing that, I was near my 2 waypoints. They were NOT showing up on the map.
    I go to waypoints/tracks/routes menu and there were no waypoints, only the track I just made. What the heck?

I go turn on the bow unit and the waypoints are there. In a state of confusion I forget now how many damn buttons I mashed trying to find my stolen waypoints, but in a while they reappeared, on the map and in the menu.

How can this stuff work fine for 2 days and then disappear suddenly?

THEN>>>>> just before dark I was headed in and wanted to run the track I had made. So I go to the menu to make sure nobody had stole that sucker while I was fishing, and the track was still listed,,,,,,,

but now I have duplicate waypoints for just one of the two I have. They have the same jumping bass icon but one of the icons is smaller?? And I only have the choice to delete the larger of the two.

Where did the dink icon come from?

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

2. Banned
    you cant delete waypoints from the shared unit with the helix. you have to do it from the unit you marked them on.

3. Member
    Sounds like your units are networked and that you created the waypoints on your bow unit.

Each unit with GPS functions will make it's own trail so if you had the bow unit off and your console unit on, you'd see the track there from the console unit.

Once you turned the bow unit on, waypoint sharing would then show the bow unit icons/waypoints on the console unit. They would just appear once on and networked.

Same icon but smaller means that the unit you are viewing is displaying the waypoint from another unit. If the icon is larger on the unit you're viewing then that is the unit on which it was created.

When a unit has waypoints created on it and is then powered down, other units running would lose those waypoints until said unit is turned back on.

4. Member
    Tracks and routes will not share across the network. You can create a route from shared waypoints.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Thanks to you all and Mark, you really explained that well.
    That explains why on some of my waypoints I have a choice to edit and others give me a different menu that has options such as “go to” . If I don’t see the ”edit” menu, that waypoint was created from the other unit. Right?

And ezfishn you answered one of my next questions about tracks. I suspected after making 2 different tracks yesterday that the units do not share tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Weare View Post

Same icon but smaller means that the unit you are viewing is displaying the waypoint from another unit. If the icon is larger on the unit you're viewing then that is the unit on which it was created.

When a unit has waypoints created on it and is then powered down, other units running would lose those waypoints until said unit is turned back on.
    Marked with my bow unit. I still don’t understand why I would show the large and the small icon for the same waypoint on both units.
    Shouldn’t it be ONLY the large icon on the bow unit and the small icon on the helm unit?

That stinks that the unit has to be powered on for a shared waypoint to appear on the other unit. I would think that once a waypoint is created and shared across the network that it would remain visible on each unit.. ?

7. Banned
    a helix can’t share across a network if it’s not turned on. The solix actually writes the waypoint to both units

Well, that scraps my idea of turning off the bow unit while running from one spot to the next.
    I’ve never done that in the past, but thought I may with these due to power consumption and to not leave my xducer pinging for no reason.

9. Banned
    Just use standby or stop pinging. No need to cut it off

Does standby stop the pinging or just put the display to sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    Does standby stop the pinging or just put the display to sleep?
    You have two choices without turning the unit OFF.
    Standby turns off the display/sonar, and GPS still functions but you can't see it.
    Sonar OFF disables sonar and the unit becomes a visible GPS/Chart Plotter.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks.
    Standby does turn sonar off(stops pinging)

13. Member
    Does it hurt anything to just leave everything on?

14. Member
    I stop the bow sonar when the TM is stowed, I don't want the unit maxing out power there trying to get a return and possibly cause a problem. I say possibly because i can't tell you for sure it would but I just prefer not to take the chance.

I also turn sonar off permanently on my second console unit which displays the sonar data from the other console unit.

On waypoint management, you will gett icons repeated if all units have the same library. A couple options in my opinion.

1. Backup all waypoints and trails, combine them on Humminbird PC and restore to all units for a complete set on each unit.

2. Pick a master unit to hold your waypoints and create most if possible, such as the console unit for scanning etc. Any waypoints created elsewhere can be copied over using Humminbird PC or manually added to Master unit. The master unit will share it's waypoints with the other networked units.

Key to either option or any other way you want to try, is to back up regularly. The reason is obvious, if a unit crashes, you do not want to lose your waypoints and hard work.

I've honestly tried both methods and have not decided which one to stick with. All units having the waypoints is a secure way to keep them but has multiple waypoints on your units when running networked. Having a master keeps the waypoints clean on your screen but increases importance of very regular backups.