2000 CHAMP 181 - Retrofitting recessed trolling motor tray

Before I cut my front deck I am looking for advice from anyone who has done this to their boat. Any issue of guidance? It looks like I shouldn't have any issues with wiring since they are routed under the gunwales but any structural elements I need to watch for?

2. Member
    You will encounter some foam but that should be it.

No to hyjack your thread but what about issues for a 2000 model 202

4. Member
    Look down the front of your rod compartments and look at your wiring. Also if you have a flush mounted graph remove it and feel around. Most likely just foam but you could have some wiring underneath so its best to be careful.

5. Member
    Thank you. That is what it looked like but I have been fooled before. I appreciate your input.

6. Member
    This may not apply to your boat, installed in a 2001 206. The one I did had a pvc pipe with a couple wires in it, just left of center. I went slow and had to trim the pipe a bit to get the splash well to slide in.

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    By "splash well" I am guessing you mean the recess for the trolling motor pedal? Our older Champs had a splash well, but it was a recess across the stern intended to keep water from rushing onto rear deck during sudden stops (or that's what I think it was intended for). Definitely not in the build, by or before, 1999 and newer....

8. Member
    Yes on the trolling motor pedal recess tray, Sorry if unclear. This is an absolute must modification for any boat with the foot pedal! Very easy to install also.

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Agree!!!

10. Member
    Completed the installation without too much drama. The hardest part on my 181 was cutting the foam closest to the pedestal seat. The foam in that area was about 10 inches thick and I used a hacksaw blade (Obviously removed from the saw frame) to slip into the saw cut on the deck and cut through the foam. Without that, I couldn't remove the section of deck even though I had completely cut through the fiberglass. I used my Makita plunge say to cut through the deck. I finished the raw edge with a thin coat of epoxy. Happy with the finished project and I am now waiting to put a new Ultrex on my boat.

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    You might want to pull the tray back out and use at least two coats of fiberglass resin on the wood edges!!! That is what has been recommended by everyone who has experience with the exposed wood.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoedv View Post
    Before I cut my front deck I am looking for advice from anyone who has done this to their boat. Any issue of guidance? It looks like I shouldn't have any issues with wiring since they are routed under the gunwales but any structural elements I need to watch for?
    This may help: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....620&highlight=