Thread: Console Vent

The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar

Console Vent

On the consoles under the windshield is an oval chrome vent.
    1st...What is it for?
    2nd...What is the material behind it that slowly wears away?
    3rd...What do you replace that material with?
    4th...Is the material even necessary?
    Thanks!

Are you talking about the horn? That material just protects it from debris. If you needed to replace it I would get a new one from Phoenix.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

3. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Not sure if it's the horn or just a vent to air out inside of consoles. I have dual consoles, it's on both. Maybe on passenger just so they match.
    That material is less durable than cheesecloth.

I'd bet Tim would send you them.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    the horn boats directly to the vent and the netting keeps debris, mainly bugs from getting inside the horn, it was a cloth material, I think a may use a piece of nylon screen when I replace my horn with the new one I have had for months, I got tired of removing my console ( Tim can hook you up on that for sure)
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

Not to hijack this post...but....speaking of horns, mine hasn't worked for quite some time, ( don't really use it anyways ), but bought new horn, still didn't work. Contacted Tim thinking it was the switch, he sent me one, along with the wiring diagram cuz evidently there's an inline fuse behind the fuse panel. I can't find it anywhere, so I have the horn, switch and still no horn. But I'm catching fish !!!!

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liv4bassin View Post
    Not to hijack this post...but....speaking of horns, mine hasn't worked for quite some time, ( don't really use it anyways ), but bought new horn, still didn't work. Contacted Tim thinking it was the switch, he sent me one, along with the wiring diagram cuz evidently there's an inline fuse behind the fuse panel. I can't find it anywhere, so I have the horn, switch and still no horn. But I'm catching fish !!!!
    what year? the horn has its own circuit breaker on most, very possible its a grounding issue or the connection on the back of the circuit breaker
    info@drewcraft.com

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liv4bassin View Post
    Have you checked for power at the horn? Can't say what to do very easily until you check, otherwise we'll just have you running in circles all around the bad spot and you still may not find it.

do the basics FIRST - check fuse, fuse good, then check for volts at the fuse while you're there, then at the horn, or whatever that isn't working. Volts there? Then check the ground circuit. and so on. no volts at horn, check for volts at the switch, and so on.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

10. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    the horn boats directly to the vent and the netting keeps debris, mainly bugs from getting inside the horn, it was a cloth material, I think a may use a piece of nylon screen when I replace my horn with the new one I have had for months, I got tired of removing my console ( Tim can hook you up on that for sure)
    Thanks!

11. Member
    I figured drewtec would have made a replacement one of those hrn covers with the Phoenix bird on it by now

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    info@drewcraft.com

13. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I talked to Tim yesterday (thursday) because I had to buy a new windshield. Cracked it when a weight flew back into it. Anyway, I had to pay for the windshield, but he's sending that vent cloth for free. I asked if it could be the other way around, he just laughed...I was serious!...lol. Great guy! We talked about the fishing and the speeds I'm hitting in my 921xp. He was impressed and asked if I "did anything" to my sho?...Answer is no.

Tim is the man.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

15. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    As mentioned above, when I called to pay Tim for a new windshield, I mentioned these vents and how the cloth deteriorated.
    He sent me 2 new chrome vents!...No charge! I thought he was sending just the vent cloth to replace.
    Once again, can't imagine any other company with such awesome CS.
    So... when you look at the backside of those vents, there is no way to just replace the cloth. Not the way factory looks, anyway.
    Plus, when I got the windshield, he also sent all the spring clips & console pieces for them to clip into. (Don't know what those are called)

Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    what year? the horn has its own circuit breaker on most, very possible its a grounding issue or the connection on the back of the circuit breaker
    Been away from computer for while.....2013 619. Tim sent me a schematic for power to the horn....did my best to translate it ---- horn still inop. Haven't had the opportunity yet to pull the console apart ( again ) and check the power at the horn again. I will get to it tho, just not that high up on the priority yet. I do appreciate the suggestions though.