94 Pantera questions about fiberglass

I'm looking at a used 1994 Pantera that might have some issues with fiberglass. It has one small crack in transom next to end of gunwal top cap next to rub rail before it goes into the back where the jackplate or motor would mount. It's about an inch long, wondering if this could be an issue, also if transoms made back then were all fiberglass like they are now. Also has some cracks on hull area about 3-6ft back from bow on the lower chines, some are chips about 1-2inches long that are down to the fiberglass underlayment on the starboard side, and 7-8 visible cracks in a row on one chine about a ft long on the port side. Detected no soft spots in boat otherwise. Even on the transom, no soft spots. Any thoughts on this would help decision with the purchase.

2. Member
    The transom isn't solid fiberglass, can't help with the rest. Basscat started going all composite around 99 I think.

3. Member
    The 94's were wood core construction but don't let that sway you. Good wood core construction is better than bad composite and it's a bass cat so it IS good construction. Sounds to me like you're looking at gel coat stress cracks which are superficial. A good fiberglass man can make it like new. As long as no water penetrated the wood you're good to go. Gel coat cracks don't come close to that. The bigger worry is from someone not sealing stuff well after drilling holes for transducers or jack plates etc.. If that was done correctly the transom is likely solid. The chips that are down to the fiberglass mat should be fixed for sure as they can absorb some water but I wouldn't consider it a huge deal. Just get them fixed. The 94 pantera's are great boats. I owned a 94 Pantera II for 15 yrs. Fast and great in rough water.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatbryan View Post
    The 94's were wood core construction but don't let that sway you. Good wood core construction is better than bad composite and it's a bass cat so it IS good construction. Sounds to me like you're looking at gel coat stress cracks which are superficial. A good fiberglass man can make it like new. As long as no water penetrated the wood you're good to go. Gel coat cracks don't come close to that. The bigger worry is from someone not sealing stuff well after drilling holes for transducers or jack plates etc.. If that was done correctly the transom is likely solid. The chips that are down to the fiberglass mat should be fixed for sure as they can absorb some water but I wouldn't consider it a huge deal. Just get them fixed. The 94 pantera's are great boats. I owned a 94 Pantera II for 15 yrs. Fast and great in rough water.
    thanks for the input, i owned a 2000 Jaguar for a few years, due to a layoff had to sell it, wish I never did, hard to find one these days, it had some stress cracks in it as well but wasn't concerned because I knew it was all composite, wasn't sure about the older models though, and I agree, every BCB is pure craftsmanship. thanks again for the help

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaguarJim View Post
    thanks for the input, i owned a 2000 Jaguar for a few years, due to a layoff had to sell it, wish I never did, hard to find one these days, it had some stress cracks in it as well but wasn't concerned because I knew it was all composite, wasn't sure about the older models though, and I agree, every BCB is pure craftsmanship. thanks again for the help
    I almost bought a new 2000 jag back in the day. Just couldn't swing it. Good thing I didn't because I got layed off about 2 yrs later. Bought the 1 owner Pantera II instead cash. I would love to find a good 2000 Jag used now. Rarely do you see them available that are around that age.

6. Member
    I've got a 2000 jag 250xb that i keep debating on selling but always come across threads that guys wish they'd never sold them so glad I've not upgraded to the 2007-8 models yet. Guess ain't broke don't fix it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfishrman View Post
    I've got a 2000 jag 250xb that i keep debating on selling but always come across threads that guys wish they'd never sold them so glad I've not upgraded to the 2007-8 models yet. Guess ain't broke don't fix it.
    Its a unicorn in the forest! you would get good money for it. but if I was you i would probably keep it! unless the upgrade bug is too much to take! hard to upgrade from that though! love those old jags!

8. Member
    I had a 98 Jag with a Merc 225 Opti. I updated everything. It was the smoothest riding BCB I owned when running the rough stuff and hitting big wakes.

Excellent boat! The fellow that purchased it from me is still running it at Toledo Bend.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I had a 98 Jag with a Merc 225 Opti. I updated everything. It was the smoothest riding BCB I owned when running the rough stuff and hitting big wakes.

Excellent boat! The fellow that purchased it from me is still running it at Toledo Bend.
    Very Nice!!