Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer tire pressure

I can’t find what the tire pressure should be on my 2017 521c ranger trailer tires, what do u guys keep urs at?

Should have a aluminum tag on the trailer towards the front. Mine says 50 psi
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

3. Member
    My kenda tires on my 2018 ranger if I'm not mistaking call for mid 40s or somewhere in that neighborhood
    Last edited by jt c; 06-21-2018 at 07:41 AM.

4. Member
    My Z521L trailer calls for 50lpsi the Kenda's may have an an 80psi for max inflation but I haven't looked. For long high speed travel I bump it up to 60 psi.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

5. Member
    My RT188 says to inflate them to 50 so 50 is what I run in them.

Going to replace them with some D rated tires which are 65 PSI and a few hundred pounds more load carrying capacity and an 80 MPH speed rating instead of 65.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Tires on my 2018 Z519 call for a max 44 psi, so it seems best to look at the tire rating. Many of us have run at 50-60 psi for the past few years, but tires change. My trailer has the low-profile 17 inch tires, which I’m sure makes a difference.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jt c View Post
    My kenda tires on my 2018 ranger if I'm not mistaking call for 80psi. By far more than any of me previous ones
    Im an auto mechanic for 30 years now and thats the number 1 miss understood things about cars is people think sence the tires give a max psi thats what they can put in them. Never ever go by tire max psi if your trailer or vehicle has the correct load rated tires on it always go by the vehicle or trailer manufacturers recommended tire inflation.
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Tires on my 2018 Z519 call for a max 44 psi, so it seems best to look at the tire rating. Many of us have run at 50-60 psi for the past few years, but tires change. My trailer has the low-profile 17 inch tires, which I’m sure makes a difference.
    If that is what ranger put on the trailer then go by whats on the trailer vin plate. If those tires were an upgrade by ranger then per dot laws they should have put a new vin plate with the correct tire psi to run. If joe blow put 17in tires on them I would probably run 5lbs under max tire psi
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    John. Are those Kendras ST rated tires? Ranger was putting non ST rated General tires on their 17 inch rims. Im not sure if they are or not. On the 14 inch rims Ranger was still using the C rated ST tires that calls for 50 lb PSI and 65 MPH max towing speed. I switched over to the Goodyear Endurance which is a D rated ST tire and American made. I have had two ruined fenders resulting from internal tread seperation running those China bombs that Ranger use to use. Wont run chinese tires on my boat trailer thats for sure.

10. Member
    Trailer tires should be ran at the stated pressure on the side of the tire.

If it says 50 run 50, 65 then run 65.

Trailer tires are built different than truck and passenger car tires so the inflation will be different.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-78836.html

https://www.boatingmag.com/properly-...-trailer-tires

Transducer Shield Mount
    Trick Step

11. Member
    Agree with the above. I run the pressure specified on the tire.
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

12. Member
    I went out and looked at the tires on the new trailer.
    The tire pressure listed on the sidewall is the MAXIMUM pressure not necessarily the recommended pressure. Ranger recommends 50psi on the tandem axle trailers. On MY L boat with Kendas the max inflation pressure on the tire is 50psi
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    The tire pressure listed on the sidewall is the MAXIMUM pressure not necessarily the recommended pressure. Ranger recommends 50psi on the tandem axle trailers. On MY L boat with Kendas the max inflation pressure on the tire is 50psi
    ^^^^^^this everyone^^^^^^ . You can feel free to run what ever you want but if ranger says 50 on the trailer then you run 50 and not whats on the side wall of the tire. Its the same exact thing is any vehicle. The side wall gives tou max psi of that tire not the application. Manufacturers of trailer and tires and dot stickers is rated by vehicle or trailer load weight. If the tire says max psi of 60 it will raise to 70 or even 75 psi depending on road temperature and summer heat. On my personal vehical door sticker says 32 psi front and rear and guess what my tire pressure monitoring system will show the tires at almost 41 psi on a long trip. Like i said you can do what you want but the correct way is the manufacturers rated psi not the tire. If your Trailer sticker says max PSI of 50 and a tire only says 44 and guess what it’s the wrong load rated tire on the trailer
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS

This subject is going to be like beating a dead horse this is my last feedback on it
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    John. Are those Kendras ST rated tires? Ranger was putting non ST rated General tires on their 17 inch rims. Im not sure if they are or not. On the 14 inch rims Ranger was still using the C rated ST tires that calls for 50 lb PSI and 65 MPH max towing speed. I switched over to the Goodyear Endurance which is a D rated ST tire and American made. I have had two ruined fenders resulting from internal tread seperation running those China bombs that Ranger use to use. Wont run chinese tires on my boat trailer thats for sure.
    That’s a 215/65R17. Marked 44 pounds max, right on the tire. Do not know the ST rating, but I will say this: so far (about 3,000 miles towing already this year) these Kendas are very smooth riding and provide excellent fuel economy. I like them a lot.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

16. Member
    Goodyear recommends running the pressure based on the load. Not max pressure unless you are at max load.

See page 6 "How Much Air Is Enough"

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs...care-guide.pdf

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

17. Member
    Ranger recommended 50 PSI because that is what the tires on it are supposed to have in it.

Not 35 PSI, not 40 PSI, but 50 PSI.

On the Ranger trailers with higher rated tires (65 PSI) they recommend 65 PSI because that is what the tire is supposed to have in it.

Trailer tires are not like automotive tires and they are supposed to be inflated to the specified PSI that the manufacturer puts on the sidewall.

I see people on RV forums complain about China Bombs all the time (I've seen it here as well) and almost every time when questioned they ran them lower on pressure because they thought the PSI on the side was just a "suggestion" and like on their auto they ran less so it would ride better.
    Last edited by BigDozer66; 06-21-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Transducer Shield Mount
    Trick Step

18. Member
    Which Rangers have a 65 psi rating?
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    Im an auto mechanic for 30 years now and thats the number 1 miss understood things about cars is people think sence the tires give a max psi thats what they can put in them. Never ever go by tire max psi if your trailer or vehicle has the correct load rated tires on it always go by the vehicle or trailer manufacturers recommended tire inflation.
    I went back and corrected I got mixed up that's what my truck tires are rated for lol. I got to thinking man that's not right and it wasn't

20. Member
    Which Rangers have a 65 psi rating?
    I should have just said trailers. I have seen the stickers available for 50 PSI and 65 PSI that are stuck on the tongue jack so I assumed some of them might have better (D) rated tires on them.

Most manufacturers (Boat, Car, Truck, Semi) just use a "good enough" tire on them and not the best to keep costs down.

Transducer Shield Mount
    Trick Step

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast