Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Run trailer tires on max pressure written on tire.

Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    Goodyear recommends running the pressure based on the load. Not max pressure unless you are at max load.

See page 6 "How Much Air Is Enough"

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs...care-guide.pdf
    thank you! Tires are the same for trucks cars and boats, the air holds the loade, I have endurance tires and for shits and giggles to take this picture I put 65 pounds in them... look at the issue here! To much air!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Ranger says 44 on mine too.
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS 2B525775 2-Stroke

Past Rigs
    2008 Triton Tr186 with Mercury 175 Pro XS
    2000 Ranger R73 with Mercury 125
    1976 Basscat with 150 Mercury

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDozer66 View Post
    Ranger recommended 50 PSI because that is what the tires on it are supposed to have in it.

Not 35 PSI, not 40 PSI, but 50 PSI.

On the Ranger trailers with higher rated tires (65 PSI) they recommend 65 PSI because that is what the tire is supposed to have in it.

Trailer tires are not like automotive tires and they are supposed to be inflated to the specified PSI that the manufacturer puts on the sidewall.

I see people on RV forums complain about China Bombs all the time (I've seen it here as well) and almost every time when questioned they ran them lower on pressure because they thought the PSI on the side was just a "suggestion" and like on their auto they ran less so it would ride better.
    Not me. I check my pressure every time and put it to the correct cold pressure called for. The two Carlile china bombs that blew out while towing were set at the correct 50 psi pressure before leaving the driveway. I also run a tire pressure monitoring system. They were slightly over 50 psi when they blew and took out my boat fenders. Both times Carlile agreed that it was internal separation a.k.a. "shitty workmanship" and paid damages.

5. Member
    Put a chalk line across your treads and adjust your pressure until you can see even wear on the chalk line. That will let you know that your tread is wearing evenly.

6. Member
    My Single axle 4500lb rated Ranger Trail for my 1850 LS Reata is 65 PSI recommended on the trailer name plate.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 06-26-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    My Z521L trailer calls for 50lpsi the Kenda's may have an an 80psi for max inflation but I haven't looked. For long high speed travel I bump it up to 60 psi.
    I got rid of those Chinese tires ( can’t believe ranger would use a cheap tire on an expensive boat ) and replace with the Goodyear endurance and they have in big letter 65 lbs
    2018 Z520L , 250 pro xs, ultrex 112 , hds 16 carbon , hds 12 carbon both on bbt mounts. Dual power poles

Quote Originally Posted by Riese619 View Post
    I got rid of those Chinese tires ( can’t believe ranger would use a cheap tire on an expensive boat ) and replace with the Goodyear endurance and they have in big letter 65 lbs
    I did the same thing. After looking at them at 65lbs they look over inflated. I kind of agree with the 50lb’s.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

9. Member
    i just put new endurance tires on my r83,65 psi is what i run in them, i think i will see what the chalk line looks like

10. Member
    I have the 17" General Tire RT43's on my Z521C. Run them @ 44psi. as it says. Excellent ride, wearing perfectly. No issues. I have few friends who had the factory Kenda's and have had many failures.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin4bass View Post
    I have the 17" General Tire RT43's on my Z521C. Run them @ 44psi. as it says. Excellent ride, wearing perfectly. No issues. I have few friends who had the factory Kenda's and have had many failures.
    That does not surprise me if its true. I think they are chinese made. My experience with Chinese tires is a bad one. I wont run them on my boat trailer or any of my vehicles. A friend of mine who has them on his trailer said Kenda is coming out with a 17 inch ST D rated tire. It still surprises me that Ranger put a non ST rated tire on their trailers. A Ranger owner that had the General tires on his trailer posted an email response last year that he got from General saying that they did not recommend their tires to be operated on a boat trailer. They told him that they only recommend ST tires to operated on a boat trailer and General Tire does not make them. Go figure. Its my understanding that Ranger now puts the Kenda P or LT rated tires on their 17 inch rims. I wonder if General told Ranger not to put their P rated tires on their 17 inch rim trailers based on the formal response that the Ranger owner I referred to above got from General when he asked them a question about his tires.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Its my understanding that Ranger now puts the Kenda P or LT rated tires on their 17 inch rims. I wonder if General told Ranger not to put their P rated tires on their 17 inch rim trailers based on the formal response that the Ranger owner I referred to above got from General when he asked them a question about his tires.
    LT tires are perfectly acceptable for towing. But everytime I see a trailer will low profile tires, they are P series which is just insane IMO.

Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=219

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

13. Member
    LT tires might be acceptable for towing but for me Im prefer to stick with what the National Tire Association recommends which is a ST tire. Especially since Goodyear now makes an American made version. But thats just me. Everybody can role their own in what to use on their trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    thank you! Tires are the same for trucks cars and boats, the air holds the loade, I have endurance tires and for shits and giggles to take this picture I put 65 pounds in them... look at the issue here! To much air!!!
    What psi did you lower them down to? I have the same tires.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lwabirds View Post
    What psi did you lower them down to? I have the same tires.
    I have been running the Goodyear Endurance for two years at 65 psi. Check the pressure everytime I pull the boat out of the garage to make sure I start out at or close to 65 psi. My trailer tires are wearing great and dont look anything like those in the picture. Dont know why yours are doing that. Living in Texas and with the heat here there are a lot of times they run greater than 65 psi. The closest lake to me is 1 hr and 15 minutes. So they can get pretty warm.

I run 60psi in rears and 55 in front(0.75" high in the front, scales show my rears are holding more weight) , seriously 65 in both rides terrible and is not beneficial

trailer calls for 50 pounds but that was the max on the tire so I did adjust up but not to straight 65
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

17. Member
    The trailer that Ranger puts under their boats with 14 inch rims calls for 50 psi based on running C rated tires. The 14 inch Goodyear Endurance tires are D rated and call for 65 psi. Goodyear's Technical Support told me to run them at 65 psi and so did Ranger when I talked to them. So thats what I have done and my tires are wearing evenly with over 10,000 miles on them. Before switching to Goodyears, I had the 14 inch C rated Carliyse's that Ranger was using. I ran them at 50 psi and 65 mph. Had two internal tire failures due to poor workmanship. Carliyle payed trailer and tire damages in both cases. Tires both times showed no uneven wear issues when the failed. I know I was running the correct pressure when they failed because I run a tire pressure monitoring system. In my opinion, running a tire under-inflated will get you into trouble. Either poor tire wear or tire failure. If someone has a question on what pressure they should be running, they should contact the manufacturer. As I stated above, thats what I did. I did not just take the tire shop (Discount Tire) or Ranger's word for it. I talked to Goodyear as well. To each his own.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 07-02-2018 at 07:34 AM.

18. Member
    I gave Carlisle tires two chances. Three blow outs and one fender later I'm running Goodyear Endurance at 65 psi for the same reason as Tromanoski states. No problems yet. Ranger Trail, single axle.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12