Help! Stuck Steering Wheel

I'm trying to remove the steering wheel from my 2018 RT 178. I'm installing a Bass Boats Technologies Mount but I can't get the steering wheel off. I've tried a wheel puller but it just tears through the plastic at the back of the steering wheel (see picture). Don't know why the whole steering wheel had to be made out of plastic! I've tried pulling on the wheel while somebody hits the stud but it just won't budge. I even tried penetrating fluid. Anything I'm missing?

I'm not worried about damaging the steering wheel because it's getting replaced.

Thanks,
    Randy

Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

2. Member
    I would make a 3 arm puller that you can bolt through the spokes of the wheel and a nut in the middle to turn a bolt in to pull the wheel off. Might not be an option if you dont have the means to make one.

3. Member
    I had the same thing happen to me. Spray it with a penetrant. Get in the seat & Push up with your knees hard & strike the center with a plastic hammer. Put the nut back on first & thread it down but not touching the bottom before you hit it. This will work.

4. Member
    I have had success using an air chisel with a pointed bit on the stem while apply upward force with my knees. My nephew had one that the air chisel woudn't do it, I cut the wheel off with an angle grinder.

5. Member
    Here's the winning combination. I just bought a three arm puller from Advance Auto and cut some angle iron to put behind the spokes. I've never had a steering wheel that was stuck like that. I had to crank on the puller with everything I had before it would pop loose.

Thanks to alanhore for giving me the idea of going behind the spokes and thanks to everyone else for all the input. This board is such a great resource for info and solving problems.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

7. Member
    Glad it worked for ya buddy. After pics please.

When I did it I had to use a two arm puller and pull from the spokes and it wasn't a problem. I assume that has hydraulic steering? Not the wheel I'm use to seeing on the painted boats.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    When I did it I had to use a two arm puller and pull from the spokes and it wasn't a problem. I assume that has hydraulic steering? Not the wheel I'm use to seeing on the painted boats.
    It's not hydraulic steering. They changed steering wheels for the 2018 models for some reason. To install a spacer you have to basically replace this wheel with one of the old style wheels. Bass Boat Technologies and Precision Sonar both sell the old style wheel. Mine will be here tomorrow along with the mount. The old steering wheel is now a decoration....it's hanging on the garage wall.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    It's not hydraulic steering. They changed steering wheels for the 2018 models for some reason. To install a spacer you have to basically replace this wheel with one of the old style wheels. Bass Boat Technologies and Precision Sonar both sell the old style wheel. Mine will be here tomorrow along with the mount. The old steering wheel is now a decoration....it's hanging on the garage wall.

Wow I can't believe they changed all of them over to that. I'm sure I can think of why but I'll keep it to myself.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    Wow I can't believe they changed all of them over to that. I'm sure I can think of why but I'll keep it to myself.
    I know exactly what you're thinking. The old style looks much better than the new ones.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex