Thread: Blow 225 pro xs

Blow 225 pro xs

2005 225 pro xs
    serial # 1b190332

Ok so I was pretty sure that this Motor had blown up on me. Got it into the shop and the top port piston was pretty much gone. I don’t have any pictures but I’m sure I could get some. What they are telling me is that they don’t typically make repairs to the effected cylinder and to just replace the power head for about $6100. That does not include any parts needed that are found to be not working correctly like an injector. Does this seem about right or are they just wanting more money for less work with the new power head install. The powerhead would be a factory reman I believe with a 1 year warranty he though. He was going to have to check for sure. Not for sure what the cost would be to just fix the one cylinder or if it is even possible. In your opinion is it better to just replace the powerhead.

2. Member
    There is no way to answer this question without seeing ALL the damage.

Many dealerships don't have the time, manpower, machining equipment, tools, nor the expertise to remanufacture powerheads. Its better and faster for the dealer to go with a new, or remanufactured powerhead from a dependable source. It gets you back on the water sooner, and less return trips in the long run.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    Way too many variables for anyone to give an informed answer. What is the condition of the other cylinders? Hard to find a reputable shop that will ever be willing to do one hole repairs unless you release them of all warranty liability. Most will always either replace powerhead or do a complete rebuild. Rebuild is sometimes considerably cheaper but I know in my area if you went the rebuild route you wouldn’t be back in the water until next spring.

Mine (Mercury 250XS) blew up for the second time this spring. I went with a re-power. If you want to stay with Mercury, I would seriously consider a re-power to their new 4 stroke. When mine blew this spring I was being quoted the same cost as you and I didn't want to put that kind of money into a 13 year old motor and only have a 1 year warranty. Just my 2 cents.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X