Anyone vacationed in Aruba?

Wife and I have decided we are gonna vacation in Aruba in Jan.!!!
    Anyone have recommendations regarding the island, best charter Capts and best food?

2. Member
    I’ve been there about 10 times. Beautiful island. If you can be there New Year’s Day.... do it. The fireworks on the island are the most amazing you’ve ever seen on NYE. It has to do with blowing off fireworks drives away the bad luck from the previous year so they go all out. You MUST stay in the high rise area. Do not stay downtown. Food choices are endless. The fishing isn’t great there if you’re used to say Mexico or Florida but it’s still fun. The island is very safe, never had any issues. PM me if you need anything else.

3. Member
    Scott's Brat's on Palm Beach. Must stop for a bloody mary and brat

4. Banned
    Cruise ship docked there for 2 days. Hottest place I've ever been 115*... Dan

They ever find the Holloway girls body?
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    My first thought...

For me, I would love to explore more of the US , but JMHO

7. Member
    [QUOTE=Lea;9447702]My first thought...
    Mine to

8. Member
    More of a desert environment but we enjoyed our stay. Long before the Holloway incident. Windy windy windy. Tell your wife either put your hair up or don't care. No offense intended, but I hope you like people from Boston. That's about 80% of the visitors at least when we went. And as said above, HOT. Saw the natural pool and natural bridge (before it collapsed). Water was cloudy and not as clear as Bahamas or virgin islands. I think the salinity is a little higher. Have fun!

9. Member
    Well Im looking for good fishing, and the wife has Holiday Inn points built up from work. Maybe we should try another island instead?

10. Member
    We’ve been there several times. The locals are incredibly kind. It’s a super safe island. Lots of other islands we’ve looked at people tell you it’s great...but don’t leave the resort. We explored all over Aruba and never felt the slightest bit unsafe. Even with kids. It being a desert is a good thing for vacation; very little rain. When it did rain it was brief and usually overnight. Also, it doesn’t get hurricanes, whereas the rest of the Caribbean does.

You should rent a car to explore a bit; a basic model is super cheap. Take a drive through the big preserve in the desert. Take a trip to baby beach where you can snorkle right off the beach. Check out some of the old gold ruins. Check out some of the caves with old cave paintings in them. Check out the rock formations; it’s an incredibly flat island except for this one are with massive piles of boulders.

I’ve never fished there.

Restaurants. I don’t think I’ve had a bad meal there. Below are a few that I really recommend but you also can’t go wrong just walking up the beach, stopping into a restaurant and getting whatever fish is the freshest. I think I eat a fish stew a majority of nights I’m there.
    El Gaucho - incredible steak joint. I’ve eaten at several of the best in NYC and still think El Gaucho is one of the best out there. Buy a jar of chimmichuri to bring home. This is located in the main city of Oranjestad. You could basically make an afternoon trip to the city and end with dinner.
    Wacky Wahoo - not much ambiance, and in a strip mall, but super fresh seafood.
    Flying Fishbine - expensive, but you dine on the beach. Several of the tables are even set up so your feet are in the water. Book at sunset.

11. Member
    One other thought...

We ate at a great seafood restaurant called Driftwood. A hole in the wall. I just remembered, and confirmed online, that the owner also runs a charter boat service.

He must be good at getting on fish if he can run a seafood restaurant.

https://www.driftwoodfishingcharters.com/

12. Member
    Good Info. My daughter plans to get married there, in 2020.

HARD WORK BUILDS CHARACTER

Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    No.... They did that entire show last year based on New evidence and that had found something and at the end of the show it turned it to be nothing the bones they found were not a match... The informant took them to a spot where nothing was found as well..not try to hijack but...

https://nypost.com/2017/10/03/remain...alee-holloway/
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

15. Member
    Been there once, and it was great. I would echo the sentiment above and stay in the Palm Beach area as opposed to downtown.

Highlight of the trip for us was renting ATVs. You can ride the streets with them and then we basically did a lap around the island hitting the Natural Pool(highly recommend), the lighthouse, etc.

I don't think you could have a bad experience there. Dining on the beach was fun at Mathews, as well. Sunsets are incredible.

Enjoy!

Dave
    2010 Ranger Z521- 250 SHO

I stayed at the Holiday Inn when my wife and I went in Dec of 2000. We did an all inclusive package so I can't help you with restaurants, but the motel was nice and we had a great time. Tourism is the major industry and everybody treats you well. Aruba is one of the few places where it's safe to drink the water. I enjoyed it more than the Bahamas or Cancun. As far as the Holloway girl, I wouldn't let that influence me. There has to be something about that case that the authorities aren't saying. Something maybe about who the girl got involved with. Anyway, I would go back in a heartbeat.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

17. Member
    Been all over the Caribbean, Cabo and Maui. Aruba is at or near the top. Didn’t go there to fish though.

18. Member
    Around 40 years ago, so my recommends might not be worth much.

19. Member
    Great place to visit. Got to eat with the head of the government. He gave me a booklet that contained a sample of each coin/paper money that is used on the island.