What Allison to get?

Interested in getting an older Allison to repower with a new Mercury V8. I have never had a go fast style bass boat but have always heard good things about Allison and like the look of them. I am the Northeast so there are not many around here either. Is it possible to get an older nice clean boat without power that can handle a 250hp motor for around $10k-$12k?, if so what model and year would you recommend, the bigger the better, not concerned with absolute top speed.

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    The V8 4 stroke outboards are the new breed. It will be well suited for the XB21 (newer hulls) but I do not have enough knowledge first hand on hanging the weight of a new V8 on an XB2003?? I've seen plenty of 3 liter 2 strokes on the 20 foot hulls like the XB2003 and Grand sport but those motors weigh in at 505. Mr. Allison never intended the grand sport or the XB2002/XB2003 hull to be paired up with anything other than the 2.5 liter 2 stroke motors of the past. Times have changed and many Allison owners have been experimenting with 3 liters but setback modifications are in order to "safely" run those motors. The newer V8's are heavier and this is virgin territory.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    Add the XTB 21 to the list of the "unknowns with new 4 strke power." The XB21 series will be more than double your 10 to 12k range.

I would not hesitate to put a new V-8 on the back of my 2003. I am now running a 3.0 liter Pro XS and love it. As far as set back. I changed to 5.5 and the boat would not run right. I was told to move it in by a lot of different Allison guys. I moved it back to 12 and she runs great. Getting ready to go back to 14 inches.

5. Member
    Maybe an XTB is your best bet.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

6. Member
    Thanks for the info so far, where would be a good place to look for a used Allison? BTW the V8 4 stroke 250hp Pro XS is the same weight at 505lbs.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
    Interested in getting an older Allison to repower with a new Mercury V8. I have never had a go fast style bass boat but have always heard good things about Allison and like the look of them. I am the Northeast so there are not many around here either. Is it possible to get an older nice clean boat without power that can handle a 250hp motor for around $10k-$12k?, if so what model and year would you recommend, the bigger the better, not concerned with absolute top speed.
    here is a 2016 that has never been rigged for 25k. https://www.sandersonmarine.com/alli...ats-sales.html
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    here is a 2016 that has never been rigged for 25k. https://www.sandersonmarine.com/alli...ats-sales.html
    I am pretty sure the 25k is for the XR-2002 and not the XB-21.

9. Member
    That's the same weight as a 3lt 2 stroke, such as the 250 pro xs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
    Thanks for the info so far, where would be a good place to look for a used Allison? BTW the V8 4 stroke 250hp Pro XS is the same weight at 505lbs.

10. Member
    If you do go the XTB21 route. I’ve been thinking of sellng my 1993.
    They are great riding boats. Use it as an all around boat for the kids and fishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I would not hesitate to put a new V-8 on the back of my 2003. I am now running a 3.0 liter Pro XS and love it. As far as set back. I changed to 5.5 and the boat would not run right. I was told to move it in by a lot of different Allison guys. I moved it back to 12 and she runs great. Getting ready to go back to 14 inches.
    I run 12" bobs hyd. With 300 promax,(actually better than a 300pm block,250xb 300ecu,light flywheel,o/shore 3 ram mid and alien cowling) heads,ecuno issues 28p ally cut chopper,loaded for tournament,cruises 70mph@5k. There is no holeshot lag, just press the pedal and she's on her way,also idles@3mph for side imaging, and 35mph for comfortable cruising. Thats just my TM stock lower. Havent had it past 80 til i cone a TM.300PM weighs 445lbs. Not much more than my 225x w/sporty