Chaumont Bay & Lake Ontario

I have a 4 day trip planned for Chaumont Bay at the end of July. Would love to go out on Lake Ontario to try and find find Smallmouth. Is it worth the effort to try and find them out there? or should I just stay in Chaumont Bay?

2. Member
    Bay... lots of deep drops and shoals... 4+ when you find them with some 5-6 with them....good luck

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

3. Member
    run to islands

4. Member
    Running out into the lake. What wind speed usually dictates if you should venture out onto the lake?

5. Member
    Not so much wind speed but direction. A south/west wind is the worst. Usually if it’s around 10-12mph from the south you’ll have 2-3 foot rollers. If it was coming utnof the north or east it’s be around a 1-2. Anything over 12 is a crap shoot depending on how windy it was the day before. It doesn’t take much for that lake to start up but it’ll take a few days before it calms down.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    We go out of Henderson harbor, pretty much anything come from the west the boat stays on the trailer unless the bays are holding some fish . I ventured out to the islands a few times and didn't think I'd make it back, it will make your @$$ pucker seeing nothing but a wall of water coming at you...not fun,, no fish is worth it
    Last edited by rangerguyz21; 07-19-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

7. Member
    Looking at next weeks weather. Winds WSW at 10 mph. Does this mean just stay in Chaumont Bay and not even attempt the big lake?

8. Member
    A wsw wind is the worst ... look at map. You may be able to shoot out to the islands early morning but watch the building seas wi5 wind speed. That direction wind blows up the gut of the bay creating huge rollers. Tournament 2weeks ago in bay many bags over 20 brought in. Bay also has some good largemouth too if wind blows u off the lake. You’ll have options don’t worry. Don’t be afraid to shoot up to Clayton and fish the river too......not far at all

9. Member
    I am going up too, will be in Henderson, can I assume Henderson Bay is ok to fish with those winds? As long as I stay on the west side of Henderson Bay, etc?

Tks, BAM

10. Member
    That part of the bay sucks......go through cut and fish around association island .....even if you have to drift through 3 or 4 footers.....

11. Member
    Ok, thanks.

12. Member
    Looks like a washout for this week. From what I am seeing winds will be up. Really wanted to get out on the big lake for smallies. Now try and find them in Chaumont Bay.

13. Member
    Never made it out to the big water to much wind from the west. Did ok on the smallies in the bay, nothing big but caught them

14. Member
    Chaumont holds alot decent fish. When I go if it's rough, we trailer up past Abay.