Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Steady cast questions

Here's what I have :
    - Two 73sv plus units, four mounts.
    - Two mounts at the console, side by side, Ethernet connected.
    - Two mounts at the bow, Ethernet connected.

The bow and the console mounts are NOT connected together.

- I'm not familiar with nmea. -

If steadycast is hooked to one unit, will that signal be shared with unit that is next to it, Ethernet connected?

Contemplating steadycast, want to know what it will cost, with everything needed.

What all will be needed to make this work?

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Steady Cast is NMEA 2000.....in other words it will not share thru ethernet. So you will need to establish the N2K network and connect all units to the network.

Garmin has a starter kit and then you would need additional tee's and cables.

Here is an example of the network.

NEMA 2000 Example.JPG
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I just installed a NMEA 2000 network and a Steadycast. The Steadycast doesn't actually connect to the unit itself and has nothing to do with Ethernet. It connects to the backbone of the NMEA 2000 network. The steadycast will then work with all units that are connected to the network. The NMEA network is easy to install. If you look on the Garmin website you can find some good information on how to lay out the network. Cost wise, you're probably looking at about $250 to $300. The drop cables and T-connectors are not cheap.

You'll need:

Garmin NMEA 2000 starter kit
    A drop cable for each unit (Connects the unit to the backbone)
    T-connector for each unit (This is where the drop cable connects to the backbone. The backbone is just a bunch of T-connectors connected together)
    (The Steadycast comes with a drop cable and T-connector)

The picture shows the backbone. The yellow cable is the power cable. I have 2 Echomap 93sv, Steadycast and a 19x GPS antenna connected.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

4. Banned
    do you have to have NMEA for it to work or can you hook it up direct to a GPS?

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Have to have the network.

6. Member
    To clarify, you can't just buy a steady cast and hook it up, for one mfd? You have to buy other stuff also? Or is it because of how I want to do it?

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    You can buy it just for one unit, but will still need the network stuff....since the SC comes with a drop cable and tee then then only other thing would need is the starter kit.....that gives you power connection and connection to 1 unit and then hook the SC up.....if you would like to add additional units then additional tee's and cables are needed. Keep in mind, if a unit is not connected to the nmea network, it will not get the SC info.

To answer the question, yes you can connect just one unit to the network.

8. Member
    Thank you to all !

This is why i wanted to ask, I had a bad feeling it would cost more than just the price of the sensor.

9. Member
    pipercub - that looks like exactly what i would need. Thank you for the picture, that really helps!
    The cable connected to the tee, could that have been connected to the right side of the multiport connector? Thus eliminating the need for the tee? Or have something else connected to it? Maybe another MFD?

fishin couillon - thank you for the diagram!
    Last edited by Skunked again; 06-20-2018 at 11:06 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    pipercub - that looks like exactly what i would need. Thank you for the picture, that really helps!
    The cable connected to the tee, could that have been connected to the right side of the multiport connector? Thus eliminating the need for the tee? Or have something else connected to it? Maybe another MFD?

fishin couillon - thank you for the diagram!
    Everything has to be connected to the top of the Tee. You can extend the backbone by connecting a cable to the end of the backbone but you'll have to put another Tee at the end of that cable. Hope that makes sense.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

11. Member
    Yes it does, thank you.

12. Member
    Not a Garmin guy, what is "Steadycast"?

Thanks, John

13. Member
    It's an external heading sensor.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/572462

14. Member
    Thanks

John

15. Gray
    I just got my SteadyCast installed and it shows up as a device on my Garmin 7608 sxv and asks if I want to calibrate it but haven't had time to calibrate it because of all the thunderstorms. Saturday morning I'll calibrate it. Hope it works as advertised.
    2017 Tracker 195 TXW Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150 4 Stroke
    Fortrex 80
    Minn Kota 10' Talon x2
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live

16. Member
    Gray - please post of your experience with it. Before vs after.
    I'm trying to justify getting in trouble by spending another $200 - 300!

17. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Put it this way....if you fish offshore stuff it will be worth it to help keep you on your target.....if you beat the banks then it's not much use.

18. Member
    Would SC help to align the boat to a waypoint when looking for marked structure? I find it difficult to pass directly over structure that has been marked via waypoint. I have to align my boat at a good distance away from the waypoint and heaven forbid I have to make adjustments. Anybody have any advice on this?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelfish View Post
    Would SC help to align the boat to a waypoint when looking for marked structure? I find it difficult to pass directly over structure that has been marked via waypoint. I have to align my boat at a good distance away from the waypoint and heaven forbid I have to make adjustments. Anybody have any advice on this?
    Is your problem that the boat icon is slow to respond when you turn the steering wheel? If so, what you need is a Garmin 19x GPS reciever. I was having a lot of problems hitting waypoints because I would turn the steering wheel and it would take several seconds before the boat icon would respond causing me to keep overcorrecting. After installing the 19x, the boat icon turns as soon as I turn the steering wheel making it a breeze to hit waypoints.

The Steadycast is a heading sensor only. The GPS inside your unit only knows when the boat is moving but really doesn't know which way the boat is oriented. If you're stationary, like when fishing waypoints and your boat starts to drift backwards of sideways your boat icon will turn in the direction that you're drifting. When this happens, the picture you're seeing on the screen is not really where your waypoint is in relation to the boat. Hope this makes sense.

Installing the Steadycast and the 19x is a deadly combination! It makes fishing waypoints so much easier.

Where in South Carolina are you?
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

20. Member
    Would someone post a picture or two of an installed steady cast? I would like to see where and how guys are installing them.
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast