Cranking/Starting Battery for 1998 200 HP Mercury EFI

Hi Everyone,

I'm having some issues with my depth finder shutting down throughout the day while fishing. It will shut down intermittently and almost every time I go to start the engine or trim the motor. I turned on the low voltage alarm on my Humminbird and it would sound even at 8.5V... My current battery is a group 24 Exide Stowaway Starting battery (1,000 CCA) and has lasted a little over two years.

I'm trying to figure out what CCA my motor requires and if I should go with Dual Purpose, or solely starting since it's running my two depth finders, lights, and livewell/bilge pumps. Also, what brand would y'all recommend?

Serial # of engine: 0G626176

Thanks!

2. Member
    no deep cycle on stator type chergeing system get the badest cranker you can afford or have room for these new finders will zap um , use stand by mode also on unit
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    So I'm assuming that means no dual purpose either, right Joe? I was thinking about getting another wet cell battery with 900-1000 CCA again, just because it was working before, so I don't see why it wouldn't work now.
    Last edited by hittman; 06-21-2018 at 08:07 AM. Reason: grammar

4. Member
    just no deep cyle trollers ,900-1000cca should work fine,might want to install some good clamp style connections also for engine leads look in FAQ shows pics
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Perfect. Thanks!

6. Member
    yes sir

7. Member
    I just want to clarify to make sure I'm not getting the wrong type of battery... Since my engine is a stator engine, I would not use an AGM battery right? Any recommendations on what battery I should use?

8. Member
    I use a wer cell marine starting battery with 800CCA in size 27. If you want it to last longer with motor off get a larger battery, maybe they make a size 31 or 34 wet cell starting battery but not sure.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Member
    I'm leaning towards this one from NAPA Auto:
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7236

Quote Originally Posted by hittman View Post
    I'm leaning towards this one from NAPA Auto:
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7236
    BAT 7235 or
    Would be far better. I have used this battery for both cranking and trolling, The are an excellent battery that are well above minimum requirements. Very hard to beat for the price and are available nationwide
    Do not use nylock or wing nuts. Use Flange lock instead, you may have to go to ACE hardware to find them. The plastic in nylocks is not a conductor and if they get hot from a poor connection it will melt further degrading the connection
    Their are many on this forum that will take exception to my opinion on this, I have 50 years of experience in automotive/marine/commercial electrical systems. Nothing will provide as good of a connection as Flange locks will, be sure to put a little neversieze or lubricant on the bottom of the nut when installing and do not overtighten or they will be tough to remove latter

I know this battery is listed as a SLI, in my opinion they should be listed as Dual Purpose as they perform very well in this application
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-21-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    BAT 7235 or
    Would be far better. I have used this battery for both cranking and trolling, The are an excellent battery that are well above minimum requirements. Very hard to beat for the price and are available nationwide
    Do not use nylock or wing nuts. Use Flange lock instead, you may have to go to ACE hardware to find them. The plastic in nylocks is not a conductor and if they get hot from a poor connection it will melt further degrading the connection
    Their are many on this forum that will take exception to my opinion on this, I have 50 years of experience in automotive/marine/commercial electrical systems. Nothing will provide as good of a connection as Flange locks will, be sure to put a little neversieze or lubricant on the bottom of the nut when installing and do not overtighten or they will be tough to remove latter

I know this battery is listed as a SLI, in my opinion they should be listed as Dual Purpose as they perform very well in this application
    Thanks for the recommendations... I was looking at those yesterday... it's just a bigger version of the 7236. I may end up getting that one instead... I'm going to hold off until NAPA's second Saturday sale... you can get 30% off from 8-9AM!

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As long as it's a wet-cell, and around 950+ CCA, you will be fine with it.

Lphugh's suggestions on the flange-locks isn't a bad one. However, nylocks work quite well and are readily available. Yes, they will melt if you have a crappy connection (as will the insulation on the wire they are holding down).

What I'm trying to say is the nylock isn't the problem there... if the connection is poor enough to melt it, there will be other (much bigger) problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Joe I learn something new everyday, Why no AGM batteries for stator systems. My curiosity is peaked.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    Don's answered that question on the forums many times. Might find some by searching the 3L forum and it might also be in the FAQ battery topic.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Don's answered that question on the forums many times. Might find some by searching the 3L forum and it might also be in the FAQ battery topic.
    I found the answer but not on this site, and why I never had any issues with the stator systems using AGM batteries, In fact never had any stator issue with any outboard I have owned. I knew this but I just did think about thee negative protentional.
    Voltage regulators regulate voltage and Current flow. Stator system use the resistance of the battery to control current flow. The seems to be with stator systems is when they are expected to become battery chargers or trying to maintain bad batteries and or excessive loads IE: battery state of charge to low current flow remains to high for to long causing stator and battery issues

Again use the Proper rated CCA battery with the highest reserve minutes you can buy, test them every 30 days and always start the day with 100% charge
    Most do not follow this advice therefore (No AMG batteries for stator systems)
    Thank You Leon Pugh