Thread: timing method?

Banned

timing method?

Looking to check WOT timing of 1996 Johnson 200 Venom. I don't have a recommended test propeller nor do I feel safe hanging over the flywheel going 5000 rpm down the lake. Looking for alternative method to check/adjust WOT timing. Suggestions appreciated.

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    If you hear of the Joe Reeves method,,,dont do it,,too many variables. Do it the right way. If you dont have what you need, take it to a tech/shop.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Banned
    hmmm....okay. Let's back up.......What symptons would I see if the WOT timing was "off"?? Maybe it don't need to be checked.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 06-20-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    hmmm....okay. Let's back up.......What symptons would I see if the WOT timing was "off"?? Maybe it don't need to be checked.
    Lack of power or damaged pistons respectively if timing was retarded or advanced.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    If you hear of the Joe Reeves method,,,dont do it,,too many variables. Do it the right way. If you dont have what you need, take it to a tech/shop.
    Take it to a shop with a dyno.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Take it to a shop with a dyno.
    Well, If I had a reputable shop around, that'd been my first choice-hence asking DIY. I'll do some looking around.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Well, If I had a reputable shop around, that'd been my first choice-hence asking DIY. I'll do some looking around.
    We know how it is with finding a good shop, that's the reason we try to help.