I need to value my boat

What is the best no-nonsense place to value a 2008 Legend Alpha 211 ? I’ve tried a bunch of the online places but they skip a bunch of needed info.

2. Banned
    See what others are asking for similiar equipment, and its worth about 10% less than that.

I would use NADA, as this is what insurance and banks use. You can't go by what others ask, because everyone asks more than its worth, and some ask WAY more than things are worth. Where I live, I find items on Craigslist all the time that actually are listed higher than retail for used stuff. NADA is based off of what people pay rather than what people ask. Extras don't really effect the value a whole lot, they are really more just selling points as some people will want them, and others will take them off. If your selling it, then its worth to you whatever you want, however it may not be worth that much to anyone looking to buy and that's where NADA comes in handy.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    See what others are asking for similiar equipment, and its worth about 10% less than that.
    ^^^^^^^ you can start asking about the same just mentally prepare to accept selling it for 5-10% less. For the most part, the consumer still sets the market value on used boats.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    I would use NADA, as this is what insurance and banks use. You can't go by what others ask, because everyone asks more than its worth, and some ask WAY more than things are worth. Where I live, I find items on Craigslist all the time that actually are listed higher than retail for used stuff. NADA is based off of what people pay rather than what people ask. Extras don't really effect the value a whole lot, they are really more just selling points as some people will want them, and others will take them off. If your selling it, then its worth to you whatever you want, however it may not be worth that much to anyone looking to buy and that's where NADA comes in handy.
    This x100. If you pay 20,000 for a boat that’s worth 15,000 according to book value, and need to finance it you’re gonna have to come up with 5,000 out of pocket to make up for the rest and insurance will only be what Book value is. Looking around and seeing what others are listing it is ok but definitely expect almost everyone to talk you down to or below NADA pricing. People always compain that truck and boat prices are at a premium and only a few thousand less than new but the whole reason this happened is because people list used stuff for what they think it’s worth, not what it’s actually worth. All extras and add one will only be about half that of retail IF they are a year or two old. Anything else the value drops and buyers will devalue them more. To give you an example there’s a 2003 nitro 901 for 18,000. According to NADA Suggested list is 25,000 but average retail is only 15,000. The boat has been for sale for almost 8. Months and they keep dropping the price but no one is willing to pay over book value for it. My fiancé’s cousin just bought a 2006 901 from a private party for 15,000.

Mall in all start with nada, list a few thousand above it but expect to be lowballed to get as close to that number as possible
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Thanks guys. Good advice!

I sold my 08 Alpha 211 and have kicked myself ever since. Loved that boat, and will get another one as soon as money permits. Biggest mistake I ever made. At least I'm not boatless but I miss my girl everytime I go fishing.

8. Member
    Condition is key to pricing value. If you have a boat that is in GEM MINT condition expect to get a premium for your boat. I would check the NADA price and if your boat is mint add 6 to 8% over high book. Also, like mentioned before if you have nice add on items take them off if possible and try to sell locally, since you'll only get a fraction of the value back when you sell your boat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_4_Five View Post
    I sold my 08 Alpha 211 and have kicked myself ever since. Loved that boat, and will get another one as soon as money permits. Biggest mistake I ever made. At least I'm not boatless but I miss my girl everytime I go fishing.
    I do agree, Boat has been flawless never even had to tighten screws. Had a few problems with the 225 Pro XS, through the years, but it’s running better than ever right now .

Start with NADA, then look at similar boats asking price. Get a somewhat average. Now look at YOUR boat, is it in excellent, good, or poor condition. Seats Carpet, Electronics currant style, TM, Gel Coat, Stress Cracks, ETC !! BE HONEST !! Next the motor, condition, Hrs, Compression, everything. Rate all of it either above average, average, or below average. NOW, can you accept that figure ? If you have a loan on it, is it above or below what's owed ? You may decide not to sell, lol !! But this gives you a starting place. What ever the number you list it for, know before hand what number you WILL ACCEPT !! If you do decide to sell, when you post, list EVERYTHING it has and EVERYTHING that needs attention, if any. ALSO, pictures, lots a pictures, from every angle, and every flaw. LOTS LOTS LOTS !!! And best of luck, hope it goes well. ~~~ Mitch
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    some insurance companies take into consideration of all the said additions and will give you a fair price quote for value and you can buy more insurance for extra $$.
    check with a bank and loan value will be close to what the insurance price is, if you can get close to this it wont last long,but i will say i have a toon that i wouldn't sale for what THEY say its worth.