Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Switch to Garmiin >> From Lowrance. Need advice

Hey Guys,

I have been a Lowrance guy my entire time fishing, and I am considering making the jump to Garmin. Today I have (3) HDS-12 Gen-3's with SS, point-1, etc.
    I am looking for a good base unit, 12"-16" that will allow me to use 3D Structure Scan, something equivalent to a point-1 on GPS, Ultra HD Scanning, and LiveScope.

Can someone recommend a comparable unit to the Lowrance HDS-12, Gen-3?

Thank you.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    look at the 76xx series I would recommend the 12 or the 16. I run the 16's and love them. Let me know if I can help. Be glad to get you pricing.

3. Member
    What do I gain by going with the 7612XSV over the 1242XSV?

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The 76XX is touch screen, the 1242 is keypad only.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. BBC SPONSOR
    I wont ever go back to buttons.....I have a couple of old echomaps on small river boat, and touchscreens on my bass boat. I constantly trying to put my finger through the screen!

6. Member
    Is there some sort of "bundle" available? I would like a Chirp compatible standard transducer, GSV 20 HD transducer, and LiveScope. Also, Is there an external transducer needed for boat positioning (like a point-1)?
    Thank you. I believe I am getting ready to switch after 15 years of Lowrance.

7. Member
    There is a 1242xsv touch available.
    Is the only difference between a 7612 and a 1242 the touch screen feature? Seems they changed that.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Here is the comparison between the two.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cata...Product=619824

9. Member
    Thank you sir. Can anyone tell me if there is a need for an external GPS antennae for boat positioning similar to a point-1?

10. Member
    The 7400/7600 series have dual channel 2d sonar. Two transducer ports; one 8 pin and one 12 pin. The 1242's are single channel with one 12 pin port.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'm not an expert but here are is the antenna that is comparable to the Point 1 minus the heading sensor. That would be a separate item with is the Steady Cast.

N2K antenna: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/100702

NEMA 0183: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/100686

Heading Sensor: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/572462

Hopefully someone can say if there is a difference between the two 19x antennas.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishforbass View Post
    Thank you sir. Can anyone tell me if there is a need for an external GPS antennae for boat positioning similar to a point-1?
    I'm running a 7610xsv with Steadycast. Steadycast makes a difference when I am jigging and moving slowly. Excellent product. I've never felt the need to replace the internal 10 Hz GPS. I think the echomaps are 5 Hz.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

13. Member
    I'm pretty sure the only difference is that one is NMEA 183 and the other is NMEA 2000. I just installed a the NMEA 2000 version and am very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I'm not an expert but here are is the antenna that is comparable to the Point 1 minus the heading sensor. That would be a separate item with is the Steady Cast.

N2K antenna: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/100702

NEMA 0183: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/100686

Heading Sensor: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/572462

Hopefully someone can say if there is a difference between the two 19x antennas.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

Your Point 1 will work with Garmin. At least it did with my 7610...

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

15. ZO6
    Hey Guys,

I have been a Lowrance guy my entire time fishing, and I am considering making the jump to Garmin. Today I have (3) HDS-12 Gen-3's with SS, point-1, etc.
    I am looking for a good base unit, 12"-16" that will allow me to use 3D Structure Scan, something equivalent to a point-1 on GPS, Ultra HD Scanning, and LiveScope.

Can someone recommend a comparable unit to the Lowrance HDS-12, Gen-3?

Thank you.
    Delete
    Last edited by ZO6; 06-22-2018 at 10:07 PM.

16. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The 7400/7600 series have dual channel 2d sonar. Two transducer ports; one 8 pin and one 12 pin. The 1242's are single channel with one 12 pin port.
    What are the advantages and disadvantages to having only one transducer port. Does that mean if you are running 2 d you can't have side or down? or are there excellent combo transducers available? In what situation does it matter? Pardon my ignorance just trying to learn!

17. Member
    Having one 12 pin port is not a handicap. In fact, it's pretty standard. The 12 pin port can utilize Garmin's combo transducers that provide 2d, side and down. The 2nd port on the 7400/7600 is 8 pin and allows for adding an additional 2d or 2d+down. Some people use this for an addition xd on the trolling motor or put in hull for running on plane. You'd just have to use your own creativity for what you might use it for.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Would you please give us some insight on dual vs. Single channel 2d.I am ordering new boat and currently have 3-7612 and 1-7610 was thinking on switching to 3-1242XSV and one 7610XSV. I honestly can say I’ve only messed with depth range and that’s it.
    Thanks

19. Member
    Dual channel means that you can have two 2d traditional sonar sources and both of them displayed. The implementation is a bit weak and to me not so logical but it works well once you figure it out. When makeing a panel for a combo screen it's one panel and you select Sonar. Then you pick Split Frequency to show two 2d's side by side. The two sub-panels can be sourced to different transducers. I use it to see 2d at the bow and transon at the same time on the same screen.

20. Member
    Long time Lowrance guy here who spent last upgrade money to go to Garmin. I kept my Lowrance Gen3 9's and dualed them up with a Garmin 7610 xsv at the console and the bow. I have a point 1 and all four units are connected to a nema 2000 network and they all use the point 1 for heading sensor and the console units both use the point 1 for GPS. There are days and circumstances where when Idling around looking for bass or crappie in 10-25 feet of water that I see something on one unit that the other does not show but for most underwater objects, they show similar views in DS or 2d. Garmin side scan is usually better and can look out farther than the Lowrance. Garmin's self mapping is hands down better and more functional than sonarchartlive overlay on the Lowrance units. Depending on what lake you are on, Navionics may have better better canned mapping on their chips and on others, Garmin is better. On Toledo Bend , where I fish most of the time, Lakemaster has the best map of the lake. In fact their map which you can buy on a cd or get for 29.99 on your phone has bank to bank coverage for 99% of the lake. You cannot however use their chip in your Lowrance or Garmin units. I find stuff on the lakemaster contour elite cd map at home that I want to fish and with their map on my phone, can find the right places and use quickdraw to get the area mapped on my Garmin while idling or fishing the area. I tell you this to make a point that none of these companies have the best of everything. Garmin also has panoptics and Ultra high frequency sonar now. which I currently have not purchased but I am sure I am going to get the new Panoptics transducer and box as soon as they are readily available. If I had to pick one brand right now after having looked long and hard at Lowrance and Garmin literally side by side, It would definitely be Garmin. Their self mapping and customer service puts it over the line for me, but don't expect super huge differences in what you see on your sonar screens, at least that is my experience for the last 10months.
    " If you are going to be stupid, you have got to be tough!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast