Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bone on bone knees

what is the best way to handle bone on bone on both knees, i'm trying to tough it out till after my first ever canadian fishing trip-i'm almost 62, do you dope it up all the time or just cancel the trip and say forget it?

2. Member
    Well, if it was me I'd see what my orthopedic surgeon says. I've been blessed so far with knees that don't experience bone on bone while walking at 75. I'd ask him how many OTC pills like Excedrin or any form of pain reducer I could safely take until the operation. Remember, just because you can buy it OTC, these things aren't necessarily good for your body, even though they mask the pain, your body still has to dispose of the pills residues. I'd stay away from opioids even if prescribed, and, wear your PFD even though the stewardess will look at you funny.

I would try to tough it out and take the trip. Have you discussed total knee replacement with your doctor? I worked for a few years with bone on bone knees and know what your going through. Best thing I ever did was have both knees replaced. Talk to your Dr. about some pain management meds. Good luck and hope you get to take the trip!
    Heartwood Fence Co.

Glucosamine Chondroitin for joint lubricity. Meloxicam for pain.

Have your testosterone level checked.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Member
    Amputation then replace with peg leg, parrot, and eye patch and you're good to go.

6. Member
    Had the same issue--bone on bone in both knees---know what you are going through--I certainly would try and make the fishing trip but yes talk to your doctor and possibly your orthopedic surgeon about a medicine regiment until you are ready to have them replaced. That is pretty much the only fix for your issue. Had both of mine replaced at the same time when I was 62. It is a struggle but the most important thing is to push yourself and do all the exercises in rehab. You get out of it what you put in. As far as Glucosamine Chondroitin I think you are past the point of this helping you. If you have bone on bone there is no meniscus left in your knees to cushion things so it will not help you. Be sure to ask the orthopedic surgeon for his advice on this

My thumbs have been bone on bone for a number of years. Instead of having the surgery, my Ortho Doc prescribed DayPro (Oxyprozen is the generic), an anti-inflammatory. It has been a miracle for me...no pain as long as I stay on it...one 600 mg tablet per day, although I started on two per day to get it built up in my system. You might ask your Doc for something like this to get you through your trip.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    My thumbs have been bone on bone for a number of years. Instead of having the surgery, my Ortho Doc prescribed DayPro (Oxyprozen is the generic), an anti-inflammatory. It has been a miracle for me...no pain as long as I stay on it...one 600 mg tablet per day, although I started on two per day to get it built up in my system. You might ask your Doc for something like this to get you through your trip.
    Oxaprozin is a NSAID as is Ibuprofen.

Quote Originally Posted by karol View Post
    what is the best way to handle bone on bone on both knees, i'm trying to tough it out till after my first ever canadian fishing trip-i'm almost 62, do you dope it up all the time or just cancel the trip and say forget it?
    Hey Karol,

I know how you feel, went thru the same thing when I was 60. Your orthopedic surgeon should be able to give you steroid shots in the knees (joints) keep in mind this is only a temporary fix. Bi-lateral total knee replacement (means both at the same time) is the way to go for the permanent fix. My Doctor used the "Striker Get-Around knee" joints. Sound like a good name for a top water lure huh? Anyway they have a 25 year warranty... I've been pain free for 4 years now. I'm a lean mean bass fishing machine once again
    ……Ranger Randy 521c

Try the steroid shots and time it out so you get one the week before you leave.

Yep talk to the medical experts. Had that issue myself, knee replacement is the way to go, of course that won't work with your trip coming up soon. There's isn't anything you can pick up OTC that is going to help.

karol....spend some money on a comfy seat. Sadly just tough it out, use Aleve to the max and just replace that joint this winter. I replaced mine at 48yrs old and it was the best thing I ever did....too many old injuries in sports took its toll for way too long.
    I am not delusional,
    I see all illusions!

13. Member
    I took Aleve twice a day for years before going to an orthopedic surgeon. He said the damage was done and he would do the total replacements whenever I was ready. I toughed it out for a while longer and finally had total replacements on both knees. It was liberating! Try Aleve to see if you can make it through your fishing trip. Then have the surgery and do the PT!!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes View Post
    karol....spend some money on a comfy seat. Sadly just tough it out, use Aleve to the max and just replace that joint this winter. I replaced mine at 48yrs old and it was the best thing I ever did....too many old injuries in sports took its toll for way too long.
    This ^^^^^ Good advice!

15. Member
    Short term - pain meds
    Long term- joint replacement, just don't do both at once.

16. #FRB
    Is this Canadian fishing trip going to involve wading water or will you be in a boat sitting a lot? You know your limits right now and we don't so only you can make the call on whether or not you can make the trip. Guy I work with had both of his knees replaced one at a time and says it's the best medical decision he's ever made. Had a ton of slack in both for years and gave him all kinds of problems.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

17. Member
    Went 8 to 10 years bone on bone living on oxycodone. Got both replaced and what a great feeling. No drugs and no pain. Since I had to wait so long, now my right hip and lower back is messing up because of waiting so long. Don't wait like I did if you don't have to.

18. Member
    Pain meds or maybe a shot is all that may help 8n the short term. Like the other have said, after the trip do both knees at once. I worked with 2 guys that had replacements, one did both and one did one at a time. The one that did both was WAY better off. It was amazing how bad his knees were, complete difference after the surgery

I’m 49 and had 1 doctor wanting to replace my knee 4 years ago, I got a second opinion and went with the roster comb shots, I’ve had 2 treatments and I’ve been good to go.
    GO DAWGS

20. Member
    Friend of mine was a MLB catcher back in the 70’s. Bone on bone , both knees. Back then surgery was not as perfected as it is today. Eventually he had the surgeries but he touched it out for many years. What meds he took in the interim I don’t know but he was a tough SOB.

Would suggest you you talk to the Doc and get an estimate of the recuperation time. Talk about possible meds, then go from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast