150 Mariner can't get more than 3900 RPM

its a 1995 Mariner 150hp EFI. It struggles to get up on plane, and when it finally makes it, it can't run out like it should. The tac will hit 3900 and that's it. It doesn't surge or ever show signs of trying to catch up. I've changed fuel filters, checked spark at all coils, compression is good. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Have you fueled up lately? Twice I had strange things like this happen after I filled up with fuel. Bad batch of gasoline both times.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBIR View Post
    Have you fueled up lately? Twice I had strange things like this happen after I filled up with fuel. Bad batch of gasoline both times.
    Yes. Drained all gas out of tank because boat had been sitting for a while. Also ran it on an external tank to rule out fuel line

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See Sticky Posts at the top of the forum- Please post in the correct forum for your engine, and provide the Engine Serial Number.

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor