Thread: Water in fuel

Water in fuel

Testing some fuel out of my tank seen some very little droplets in bottom of my gas . What should I do to eliminate this have drained completely prior to breaking in loaded up with new gas plus mix now this is third tank with qwickcare and qwickleen does this stuff help with water ?

2. Member
    Should I use dry gas additive to clear any water out of tank

3. Member
    No dry gas.

Remove fuel tank sending unit.
    Jack up the boat trailer to make all the fuel to go to the closest corner to the sending unit hole.
    Siphon out every last drop of fuel/water.

4. Member
    This was just done awhile back to get fuel and oil mix right before break in procedure do I need to do this everyone i test for water also do I need to change filter .

My opinion, if this keeps happening, is to change gas stations or find how the water is being introduced. Sending unit gasket, vent ball, cracked/small hole in tank or gas cap. Filter is there to help with water/debris. If it were mine, I would change filter, inexpensive piece of mind.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The ONLY appropriate solution for water in fuel is to remove fuel sending unit, and siphon EVERY LAST DROP from the deepest/darkest corner of the tank until DRY. Swab out the tank with lint-free towel and mechanical fingers when done.

Then start with a fresh load of DRY fuel, and be sure to flush the fuel lines, VST, pumps, fuel system, and replace the Fuel Filter.

There is no "miracle bottle" to solve this problem accurately.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by the bull View Post
    Should I use dry gas additive to clear any water out of tank
    Most fuel driers are mostly alcolol and we allready have that in our fuels today.
    Thank You Leon Pugh