Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smelly shirts (from sweat build up)

So I work construction and I sweat ALOT. My shirts after only a couple of months get sour smelling. I wash them and they smell fine, but as soon as I break a sweat in them it smells really bad. Almost a musty wet dog type of smell.

It's only my work shirts I wear a lot. My other clothes do not do this so I do not believe its related to my washer. I've tried different detergents and it doesnt help. I dry my clothes as soon as they are finished, so they don't sit wet for a long time.

This has been an ongoing problem for me for years and I hate throwing away brand new looking duluth trading shirts. Someone told my wife they need to be "stripped" like cloth diapers but I'm not sure what that entails.

Anyone have this problem to or do I just have some funky B.O.?

2. Banned

3. Member
    You might try putting some baking soda in the wash, and see if that helps.

Drink Apple Cidear Vinager...one shot three times a day...
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

5. Member
    Try washing in white vinegar.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

6. Banned
    Best way I know to get around that problem is to wash them while they're still wet. I strip down as soon as I get home wet underwear and all and in the washer they go. I believe it doesn't give the smell a chance to set in. Been working for me for years.

7. #FRB
    I sweat A LOT too at work. I use Cheer with Downy fabric softener and no issues with smelly shirts. If anything when sweat starts pouring out my shirts start to smell like the fabric softener.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

8. Member
    Try wearing fabric that wicks moisture (sweat). Just like the fabrics we fish in. I, personally, am not a fan of Duluth clothing. I sweat more than most and wicking fabric (like Underarmor underwear) is ideal for me.

Two products I would try if you haven't already

Oxyclean with Odor Blasters

Febreze Odor Eliminator
    Attached Images Attached Images

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

10. Member
    Not much help but this post reminded me that in high school if you were on the football team and forgot a practice shirt there was a community one that everyone used if they forgot one and it wasn’t washed from August until November. It was black at one point but pretty much stained gray cause of the sweat and smelled like cool ranch Doritos. I had to wear it once and never forgot a practice shirt again
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    We recently purchased this Maytag commercial grade washing machine.

https://www.maytag.com/washers-and-d...mvwp575gw.html

It has made a big-big difference in how clean clothes come out.

If you have a front-load washer or one that is energy-star for using less water, look at getting a different washer.

I was shocked at the difference in this simple Maytag washer.

My son laughed at the new washer/dryer when they were delivered. He said they looked like something you would see in a prison because they do not have any fancy knobs/displays. But, they sure do a great job of washing/drying.

I work highway construction too so my clothes are the same way. I add a scoop of a product called Activewear with a tide pod. I initially soaked all my work clothes with just the activewear stuff. Now I just add some when I wash them. It’s been working so far in this damn record heat we’ve been having.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockin-Green-.../dp/B075MPKB9X

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    We recently purchased this Maytag commercial grade washing machine.

https://www.maytag.com/washers-and-d...mvwp575gw.html

It has made a big-big difference in how clean clothes come out.

If you have a front-load washer or one that is energy-star for using less water, look at getting a different washer.

I was shocked at the difference in this simple Maytag washer.

My son laughed at the new washer/dryer when they were delivered. He said they looked like something you would see in a prison because they do not have any fancy knobs/displays. But, they sure do a great job of washing/drying.
    This is what my wife did. We went away from the new style front loader and went to a Speed Queen (brand in many laundromats) with an old fashioned agitator. Clothes seem much cleaner.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

The water saving machines usually have an option for more water. Also dry on very hot heat.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    I use oxyclean and laundry detergent.
    Praying for a Cure

16. Banned
    Goodness and here I always thought I just had a funky sweat stink, turns out it’s the clothes. Good point though on not stinking when wearing non-work clothes.

BORAX

18. Member
    If you have any skin itching go see a dermatologist. I had something similar and finally figured out I had a skin fungus. It might be worth looking into. 2 weeks of meds and no more problems with that.

19. Member
    The bes thing I have found is to put a couple of cups of hydrogen peroxide in the rinse cycle. I have the same problem and have tried many things and this works the best. I use oxiclean in every batch to wash but have not tried it just in the rinse cycle. Hydrogen peroxide is cheap and I just do my shirts. Probably about a half a bottle at a time.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast