Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Add ammonia with your detergent. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by ironoutlaw View Post
    So I work construction and I sweat ALOT. My shirts after only a couple of months get sour smelling. I wash them and they smell fine, but as soon as I break a sweat in them it smells really bad. Almost a musty wet dog type of smell.

It's only my work shirts I wear a lot. My other clothes do not do this so I do not believe its related to my washer. I've tried different detergents and it doesnt help. I dry my clothes as soon as they are finished, so they don't sit wet for a long time.

This has been an ongoing problem for me for years and I hate throwing away brand new looking duluth trading shirts. Someone told my wife they need to be "stripped" like cloth diapers but I'm not sure what that entails.

Anyone have this problem to or do I just have some funky B.O.?
    Eat a Tide Pod before you go to work and your sweat will come out soapy like pre-wash. .

3. Hagen
    Charles is correct. We had the same problem for a while and it turned out to be the washer. These new high efficiency ones don't hardly use any water. We sold our front load washer and dryer that we paid big money for and went back to the old top load that still that has a deep fill. Now my clothes don't stink as soon as they get damp. Next time your start your washer just watch through the glass and see how little water it uses.
    Want to buy old river2sea bully wa frogs.

4. Member
    I’m cursed with a sensitive sniffer; and know exactly what the OP is talking about.
    -
    Especially activewear, like moisture wicking Under Armour stuff.......that stuff gets super stinky after a few wears.
    -
    I’ve tried all kinds of fancy detergents and things over the years; but finally cracked the stinky code. And we just have a bare bones, 15 year old washer and dryer that are still going strong.
    -
    Take the stinky clothes at night; just put the washer setting on small load. Let it fill with water and throw the stinky clothes in.........then...........here comes the magic..........take a bottle of white vinegar, dump in about 8 to 10 glugs. (A glug is an imperial unit of measure, when you pour a liquid out of a bottle and it comes glugging out) Let it all soak overnight. Then wash as usual the next morning. If it doesn’t work once; then just repeat the procedure night 2; it’ll work then. This procedure must be followed to the letter to exorcise those stink demons!
    -
    My buddy has 3 teenagers that play hockey, football and he plays raquetball. He posted on Facebook looking for something to get their stinky sports equipment clean. He tried everything everyone mentioned with no luck; I told my wife to tell him about my white vinegar method; since I’m not on Facebook. He texted me singing the praises 2 days later how great it worked. They even have a pair of those crazy new washers and dryers that claim to perform miracles.......nope.........just the ole white vinegar process above.
    -
    I buy those jumbo jugs of white vinegar to keep in our laundry room. Works like a charm.

I have had this problem even when we had our old top loading washing machine. We do have a frontloader now but watching it wash in heavy duty it does indeed fill way up with water.

I'm not sure on fungus though. I have no itchy places and I can take my shirt off and smell fine afterwards. It's literally my clothes not my skin.

I have recently gotten into sweat wicking clothes and they make a huge difference in comfort at work. They cost more but I swear it feels 10 degrees cooler when I wear them vs a tshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by motomania View Post
    I’m cursed with a sensitive sniffer; and know exactly what the OP is talking about.
    -
    Especially activewear, like moisture wicking Under Armour stuff.......that stuff gets super stinky after a few wears.
    -
    I’ve tried all kinds of fancy detergents and things over the years; but finally cracked the stinky code. And we just have a bare bones, 15 year old washer and dryer that are still going strong.
    -
    Take the stinky clothes at night; just put the washer setting on small load. Let it fill with water and throw the stinky clothes in.........then...........here comes the magic..........take a bottle of white vinegar, dump in about 8 to 10 glugs. (A glug is an imperial unit of measure, when you pour a liquid out of a bottle and it comes glugging out) Let it all soak overnight. Then wash as usual the next morning. If it doesn’t work once; then just repeat the procedure night 2; it’ll work then. This procedure must be followed to the letter to exorcise those stink demons!
    -
    My buddy has 3 teenagers that play hockey, football and he plays raquetball. He posted on Facebook looking for something to get their stinky sports equipment clean. He tried everything everyone mentioned with no luck; I told my wife to tell him about my white vinegar method; since I’m not on Facebook. He texted me singing the praises 2 days later how great it worked. They even have a pair of those crazy new washers and dryers that claim to perform miracles.......nope.........just the ole above white vinegar process above.
    -
    I buy those jumbo jugs of white vinegar to keep in our laundry room. Works like a charm.
    I've got vinegar I may try this.

Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    Try washing in white vinegar.
    Use this. You don't need a lot.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

8. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I worked in some hot buildings for 10/12 hours. I always wore a wicking t-shirt under my t-shirt. I would cut the sleeves so they sleeves were 3 inches or just cut the sleeves. It kept my skin dry, I usually changed t-shirts at lunch. I bought a bunch from sierratradingpost- search wickers(brand) or wicking. they usually had a bunch for less than $10/12 each.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter bite View Post
    Eat a Tide Pod before you go to work and your sweat will come out soapy like pre-wash. .
    Might end up with sudsy arm pits
    Hi Mike.

10. Banned
    Moisture wicking shirts on the cheap: https://www.amazon.com/A4-Moisture-W.../dp/B074QQ7V9S

Bamboo shirts kinda dressy but 'airy' :https://www.cariloha.com/mens/tops.html

This stuff in "Sport" : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Downy-Spo...&wl13=&veh=sem

T shirts are cheap. You can buy moisture wicking at WM or Academy for less than $10 each. Buy 5-10 every 6 months. Wear them then turn them into boat rags when you buy the next batch. Not worth the hassle and aggravation of trying to fool with for the cost involved to buy new.

12. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    If you have any skin itching go see a dermatologist. I had something similar and finally figured out I had a skin fungus. It might be worth looking into. 2 weeks of meds and no more problems with that.
    I get a fungus after my first good sweat of the year and usually one more time during the summer. A big dose of Fluconozole knocks it out but that stuff makes me fatigued like crazy for a week. I refuse to do the 3 week treatment because I don't want to feel fatigued and scatterbrained for a month.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironoutlaw View Post
    So I work construction and I sweat ALOT. My shirts after only a couple of months get sour smelling. I wash them and they smell fine, but as soon as I break a sweat in them it smells really bad. Almost a musty wet dog type of smell.

It's only my work shirts I wear a lot. My other clothes do not do this so I do not believe its related to my washer. I've tried different detergents and it doesnt help. I dry my clothes as soon as they are finished, so they don't sit wet for a long time.

This has been an ongoing problem for me for years and I hate throwing away brand new looking duluth trading shirts. Someone told my wife they need to be "stripped" like cloth diapers but I'm not sure what that entails.

Anyone have this problem to or do I just have some funky B.O.?
    I believe leaving them wet for a few days before washing is the problem. Hang dry or wash immediately.
    BB1

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    A big dose of Fluconozole makes BBC crazy for a week. The 3 week treatment makes BBC fatigued and scatterbrained for a month.
    FIFY
    Hi Mike.

15. Banned
    Join a union especially in a Big City or work for the state. 1 guy does the work, a guy watching(safety), a foreman, a super, and maybe 2 co-workers waiting their turn.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscaster View Post
    Join a union especially in a Big City or work for the state. 1 guy does the work, a guy watching(safety), a foreman, a super, and maybe 2 co-workers waiting their turn.
    Mississippi DOT must have studied at the same school. There's always one guy using a shovel and 8 more propped up on their shovels watching.
    Hi Mike.

Actually, seriously, stopping the BO can be easily stopped by shaving your armpits every 2 to 4 days. Let it go a week and the stink starts. This doesn't help keep your old shirts from stinking, but it will stop your new ones from getting ripe. Follow up the shaving with a daily app of antiperspirant and you'll be good.

If you want to try waxing, that's on you. I had my back waxed once and the sweat just ran down my back in a stream...through the skivvies and socks and into my boots. I worked 2nd shift at Boeing for a couple years, and one night it was 99 F. at my lathe. 2nd shift in any machine shop is hotter than day shift. Cast iron machines and lots of concrete hold the heat much too well, plus we had a heat treat oven in our shop...ugh.

I used to use Pits Stop, from the Wenzels (Barry and Gene) the bow Hunters. It a natural paste that kills the bacteria, hence the smell. It really worked. Can't find it, since Screaming Eagle catalog when out of business.

It's call Lavilin, works for days to weeks depending on your body chemistry.
    Last edited by basscat21; 06-20-2018 at 12:00 PM.

19. Banned
    Shave your armpits, That will stop the sweating and stink.......

20. Member
    HOT water.......use HOT water. grew up with good smelling towels when dry but as soon as you get the damp/wet.....they smelled like a cat and dog lived in it. HOT water......and SOAK your clothes in detergent for 25 minutes and then wash.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast