Rebuilding a reel

have one of the old all gold cardiff's and i am not getting the distance out of it as i once was cleaned it up but still have the issue can you get a rebuild kit for it, the thing looks new so hate to junk it.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    have one of the old all gold cardiff's and i am not getting the distance out of it as i once was cleaned it up but still have the issue can you get a rebuild kit for it, the thing looks new so hate to junk it.
    What did you use for lubricant ? Sometimes people use incorrect lube which slows them down ?

3. Member
    i have been using a sewing machince oiler that has the little needle end to it , works good on the other reels

4. Member
    Your oil is too heavy. Try Rocket Fuel Red or one of the other reel oils such as Hot Sauce.

That said, I used to repair and rebuild reels. It really depends on what's wrong with it and if parts are available. It used to be that reel manufacturers kept parts available for decades however that was when manufacturers built their own products. It's not done that way today. Most reels are built by the lowest cost bidder on contract today. The "Brands" not calling them manufacturers anymore, buy so many thousand units assembled and so many hundred units in parts for warranty repair. The amount of reels ordered isn't intended to be in stock more than a year. Lews is a prime example. They don't offer the same reel more than 2 seasons in a row.

5. Member
    i have been using a sewing machince oiler that has the little needle end to it , works good on the other reels
    Hummmm yeah I would think that could be ok t use..Or at least better than people who fill them full of grease.

When you say cleaned it up did you break it down completely ??? I mean every single part taken apart!!!! I mean gears / bushings / screws / paw / etc ??? Down to the point you say ohh god what have I done ???

6. Member
    Only part that really controlled your distance is the spool and the bearings. Boca has spool bearing kits that will get you up and running. If you want, order some of their bearing oil and you’ll be good to go. All you need is a drop.

7. Member
    Ardent reel butter oil has worked well for me.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    Only part that really controlled your distance is the spool and the bearings. Boca has spool bearing kits that will get you up and running. If you want, order some of their bearing oil and you’ll be good to go. All you need is a drop.
    where is the best place to order a kit

9. Member
    where is the best place to order a kit
    Call the tackle trap. They will take care of you.