Yamaha tilt and trim question

I have a seal out on one of the shafts. My question is the shaft size the same as a mercury? Buddy has a tool that slips over the shaft and has a nut built on it to loosen the cap real easy. I just don't know if it will fit.

Which one are you talking about, is it the main tilt Ram or one of the two smaller ones?

Spanky

The pins on those two caps are 4mm for the small ones and 6mm for the Main, or large one. You can get them on Amazon

Spanky

Nice thanks.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The trim assembly is very similar to an OMC trim assembly, I believe it is a Showa trim. On John/Rude motors we use a different type tool than Spanky listed. I've tried those and it is almost impossible to put enough downward pressure to hold the spanner in place while trying to turn the cap. I had a friend who worked in the OMC plant make me a tool for the Yamaha trim caps it is a 4 pin device that slips over the trim ram.
    And use this crowfoot style for the tilt ram.

ChampioNman, the ones I posted did work for me however I will be getting these as I don't have anyone who can make me a tool.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017DNN6FW...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Spanky

I can feel his pain because my main tilt ram had a leak because the cap backed out and scored the o ring, what a PITA. It did take some oomph to put it on, but I managed, replaced the o ring, leak gone no issues.

Spanky

9. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I have a seal out on one of the shafts. My question is the shaft size the same as a mercury? Buddy has a tool that slips over the shaft and has a nut built on it to loosen the cap real easy. I just don't know if it will fit.
    Check Marine Tech tools and U tube video removing trim seal. I bought one works great. And in many cases if you're carefull you won't gouge out the pin holes. Their tool works great on the trim and Seastar hydraulic steering end caps.

Used a punch and hammer... Called Crowley and got two new cap and seals. One of the caps was damaged from the motor pressing on it for the past 16 years. It was pushed in. Crazy to think the could happen. All good now and ready to FISH

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Used a punch and hammer... Called Crowley and got two new cap and seals. One of the caps was damaged from the motor pressing on it for the past 16 years. It was pushed in. Crazy to think the could happen. All good now and ready to FISH
    This. Destroyed mine getting them offf. Punch and hammer and put two new ones on. That was after i bought the $70 tool from marine tech which i ended up using to tighten the new ones
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast

12. Member
    Look closely at the tips of the trim rams , yamaha's known to mushroom out. If they are replace them also because you wont be able to slide the seal cap off.