Question Battery disconnect switch?

Going to install a disconnect switch. Should I wire in both the outboard wire and accessories or just accessories? Will also need to buy a terminal wire. What ga. should I use between switch and battery? Thanks

2. Member
    You can do it several ways. I talk to my customers and find out what they want to disconnect. Usually it's the outboard and the console. If that is what you're wanting, then leave the battery charger and any "float controlled" bilge pumps connected to the battery. If you're disconnecting the outboard, you'll want wire at least the size of the outboard leads going from the switch to the battery -- or use a heavy copper strap from the switch to the battery.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    I'm mainly wanting to disconnect anything that would have residual pull when boat is parked. All of my accessories are tied in on a panel and I have one lead for all of them going to battery. So would that one lead work in my case? What about trolling batteries (residual pull)? Thanks

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usabassin View Post
    I'm mainly wanting to disconnect anything that would have residual pull when boat is parked. All of my accessories are tied in on a panel and I have one lead for all of them going to battery. So would that one lead work in my case? What about trolling batteries (residual pull)? Thanks
    That one lead would go on the switch. Trollingmotor batteries have nothing to do with the cranking battery in terms of load. I would suggest a cutoff for the trolling motor also.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    That one lead would go on the switch. Trollingmotor batteries have nothing to do with the cranking battery in terms of load. I would suggest a cutoff for the trolling motor also.
    Okay so probably don't do outboard lead? I would think most residual is from accessories, correct? If I do the trolling motor, I would not have to unplug at bow which I currently do? What about the size (ga.) wire should I get for between disconnect and batteries, if I do accessories and trolling motor?

6. Member
    I would use 6ga on both if you're just doing the accessories on the cranking. I would really consider putting the outboard on the cutoff switch also.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    I would use 6ga on both if you're just doing the accessories on the cranking. I would really consider putting the outboard on the cutoff switch also.
    If I put put the outboard on, what ga should I use then?

8. Member
    Usually a 4, depending on the size and wiring of the outboard.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]